Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Experience With Royal Mint Collector Services?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 689Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  11:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Coin collectors! Have any of you purchased a historic coin from Royal Mint collector services?

I purchased a 1797 Cartwheel penny from them for 80. It was an ok experience, because the coin itself was not as good but the customer service was pretty good. Here is the link to the coin itself on The Royal Mint website: https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins...e-fine-plus/

I put pictures below, and as you can see, the coin came in a flip with a certificate of authenticity in the flip itself, as well as a larger one that came in the coin. I later put the coin in a capsule which I also purchased from The Royal Mint. So the presentation of the coin was alright - I believe all coins purchased from Royal Mint collector services, unless pictured otherwise, are included in the flip with the certificate.

However, what I really wasn't pleased with was the condition of the coin. If you take a look at the website, the condition stated is Fine plus, and the pictured coin is in pretty reasonable fine condition. However, the coin I received, as you can see, was not fine condition. The effigy of George III on the obverse is completely faded out, very different from the pictured coin on The Royal Mint website which shows a rather detailed effigy. The reverse was better, but still obviously worse than the website.

However, as I mentioned, the customer service was good and when I told them about my dissatisfaction with the coin they offered me a 50% refund.

Overall, I was pleased with the presentation and customer service of the coin. However, the delivery time and the quality of the coin was rather slow.

Also, the price, 80, was quite expensive - but you do have peace of mind that the coin is certified genuine by The Royal Mint, so I suppose that is positive.

Have any of you guys purchased from Royal Mint Collector Services? If so, how was the coin? Please provide pictures if you can! I'd love to see it!

Thanks!

Edited by hwilkinson
05/04/2021 11:12 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8729 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only buy the occasional BU set and proof coin from The Royal Mint.

From what I've seen, the older coins that they sell are grossly overpriced. An extreme example is their set of World War I pennies, with one penny for each year between 1914 and 1918, for 36, in average circulated condition, in a fancy folder. You could easily make up the set yourself for 10p to 25p a coin by going through dealers' junk trays.
https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins...ts/hisfwwp5/

I accept that by purchasing from The Royal Mint you have the reassurance that you are buying a genuine coin, but no reputable dealer is going to sell you a counterfeit.

I personally would also have been disappointed with the condition of that George III penny, although it must be said that the portrait is in quite low relief on these coins. But I paid less than 20 for this specimen from my local coin dealer only a few months ago:

Edited by NumisRob
05/04/2021 11:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
592 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose it depends on what value you would place on the extraneous bits of card and plastic. Take away those and you're left with a coin worth 5-7.
Their grade of F+ is quite shocking. It's just about Fair.
Edited by Hogarth
05/04/2021 12:04 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NumisRob I agree. I looked at a "Fine condition" George IV shilling from The Royal Mint that was priced at 80 but soon found one in VF condition from somewhere else for just 16.

Very nice coin that you got! It sounds like an amazing deal as well!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
592 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I won this one on Ebay three or four years ago. I can't remember exactly what my winning bid was, but it was a little over 30.

United Kingdom
38 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add saxon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sold one in a higher grade for 25
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Hogarth
That coin you have is in exceptional condition - such a good deal you got
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@saxon wow! I guess The Royal Mint really does overcharge
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
592 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

"@Hogarth
That coin you have is in exceptional condition - such a good deal you got"

Not exceptional by any means but certainly ok for the price.
I went back and checked. My winning bid was 30.85.
You're absolutely right, those Royal Mint prices are ridiculous.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
629 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For 80 I would expect something more like this, though this is a tuppence rather than a penny:

Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@PaddyB
Yeah, I wasn't happy with the condition. This would have been way better! Is this yours?
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2624 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Royal mints historic coins are a massive rip off. Invest some time by going to a proper coin dealer.

RM does granny bait type stuff, uses flash images, glossy brochures and all the packaging you see on that mess you bought - to get the usual non collector or souvenir collector to buy overpriced rubbish.

Given all the hype and fluff they do even with new issues, they are hardly going to offer fair deals, but appeal to people's laziness and lack of willingness to do some research to sell this stuff. This racket probably works for them well.

Look at their ads and they say stuff like "This Victorian 6d is so old, imagine if Charles Dickens held it and think of all the engineering marvels of Brunel etc" and it has big paintings and photos of random Victorian scenes and what you get is like a 1899 6d that is worn flat!

No better than junk peddlers like Bradford Exchnage, Franklin Mint and all those American type outfits that put 5 worn pennies in a plastic case and call them WW2 souvenirs or a beaten up Nickel from 1912 and says its a Titanic coin.

Stay away from the same continent as these types of things.

This author James Bucki an American has written several articles on coin ripoffs like this plated nickels one

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/gol...ters-4169459

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/wor...ments-768353
This one speaks of the 5 worst coin investments and is essential reading, even though its an American theme, it applies to Britain and the world too.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
629 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  02:08 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes @hwilkinson, that tuppence is in my collection. I have worked for years building a good collection of British milled coinage - buying bulk lots, sifting through the dross and putting the best in my collection. The left overs and lower grade repeats go to market - I have a stall locally and sell the spares to raise money for more coins.
If you are ever going to be down in the South West, PM me before hand. I am sure I can find you some goodies for your collection!
United Kingdom
38 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add saxon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where about in the West Country paddy
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@PaddyB
Definitely! Sounds great! I will do so if I am ever heading to the South West!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Princetane
This does sound bad. The Royal Mint sells some serious expensive historic coins though. Just recently, I noticed they have a 1551 Edward VI Crown: https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins...ue-NGC-XF45/

12,000! I'm not sure how they sell their more expensive coins to serious collectors. Do you think these are overpriced as well, such as their historic sovereigns and more rare coins, or they are more fairly priced?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 689Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05