Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Altered Date? Contemporary? Straits Settlements 1916 1/4 Or 10 Cents?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 424Next Topic  
Valued Member

Singapore
75 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  10:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coins Mania to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear all,

This coin is so strange! What is this classified under? Is there any collector value to it.

I found this in a stall and it has been sitting there for 2 years, no taker!

Is it worth to collect?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1387 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is called a counter-stamp or counter-strike. There are collectors. Chafemasterj collects counterstamped Lincoln cents from America. You just have to find a buyer.
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4229 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plus the coin is corroded, probably from being in the ground or something like that.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11557 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like this was done by hand.
Just a damaged coin now.
Learn More...
Australia
13808 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would classify it as an "attempted counterfeit".

The 1/4 cent is about the same size as a 10 cent. It is, of course, made of bronze rather than silver. So what has happened here is that someone has taken a normal 1/4 cent, carved a crude "10" onto it, then they would have given it a silvery coating or paint (possibly by soaking it in liquid mercury) then they would have tried to spend it.

It wouldn't fool you or me - certainly not at that magnification, and not with the silvery coating having disappeared with time - but a counterfeiter only needs to fool one person, once, and it's job done as far as they are concerned. Counterfeiters don;t care what their coins will look like decades or centuries later.

Altering coins to make them look like a coin of higher denomination was and is a crime, with punishment similar to that of outright counterfeiting.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 424Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05