Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your, "Pieces Of The Sea", No Ships No Animal Life.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 68 / Views: 3,443Next Topic
Page: of 5
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1927 British halfpenny - sea behind Britannia, no ship or lighthouse!
But plenty of luster! Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3335 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1958 10 centavos from Portuguese India.
I see a ships wheel and waves.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18664 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1997 Repubblica Italiana.
200 Lire Italian Naval League.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6733 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dorado: Your Italian Naval League coin has an attractive design, and worthy of a CCF post - thanks for sharing it!

I don't think it works, however, for this thread and the "Ships on Coins" thread at the same time. The two threads are meant to focus on different themes - one that includes ships in the design, one that doesn't - a coin has to be one or the other. On this coin, the sailing ship is a rather prominent element within the design and so is a better fit for the "Coins with Ships" thread where you also posted it.

Just my opinion...

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18664 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just my opinion...

.-Your opinions are always welcome!..

(Fair use*)
Edited by Dorado
05/29/2021 11:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6733 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  07:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dorado: Do you think yourself clever by trying to insult me with a cartoon from 50 years ago?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18664 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2021  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@Dorado: Do you think yourself clever by trying to insult me with a cartoon from 50 years ago?

Quote:
Just my opinion...

It is not insult...It is just my opinion too.

We are all welcome to share our own views but we must understand that not all opinions are insults
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice examples!

If intent can be misinterpreted, please add clarity or refrain from making the comment. A lot can be lost in translation. Please do your best to make the message is clear to an international audience.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11367 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2021  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2012 United States America the Beautiful Quarter; Acadia National Park, Maine.

Edited by CelticKnot
05/31/2021 8:31 pm
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6733 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1936 Rhode Island Tercentenary half dollar was issued to mark the 300th anniversary of the founding of Providence, RI and was sponsored by the Providence Tercentenary Committee.

The obverse of the coin depicts Roger Williams, the Providence colony's founder, standing in a canoe as he comes ashore at the mouth of the Moshassuck River. It is the reverse design of the coin, however, that qualifies it for inclusion here.

The reverse of the Rhode Island half dollar features a reasonably faithful rendition of the Seal of the State of Rhode Island. The Seal is dominated by a large, standalone anchor at its center. This design element ties together the nautical themes on each side of the coin.

The coin was designed by Newport, RI artists John Benson and Arthur Carey.

1936-D Rhode Island Tercentenary Half Dollar

I've posted before about the Rhode Island coin:

- 1936 Rhode Island Tercentenary
- 1936 Rhode Island Tercentenary - Revisited
- 1936 Rhode Island Tercentenary and Horace Grant
- 1936 Rhode Island Tercentenary - Coins With Coats of Arms, etc. Thread

Other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection.

Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! This is one of my favorite commemoratives.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6733 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2021  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2005 US Marine Corps 230th Anniversary commemorative silver dollar incorporates a fouled anchor on its reverse design.

The coin's reverse presents the official "Eagle, Globe and Anchor" emblem of the United States Marine Corps; the emblem has been in place since 1868. A prominent component of the emblem is the ship's anchor that lies behind the other elements. Per the United States Marine Corps web site: "The fouled Anchor, whose origin dates back to the founding of the Marine Corps in 1775, represents the amphibious nature of the Marines' duties and emphasizes the close ties between the Marine Corps and the U.S. Navy."

The emblem was adapted for the coin's design by Charles L. Vickers ("CLV").

The obverse of the coin depicts the famous flag raising scene atop Mount ­Suribachi on Iwo Jima as captured by Associated Press photographer Joe Rosenthal on February 23, 1945. The US Mint's Norman E. Nesmith ("NEN" created the design based on the Rosenthal photograph.

2005 US Marine Corps 230th Anniversary Silver Dollar

To learn more about the coin and its famous designs, check out:

- 2005 US Marine Corps 230th Anniversary Coin & Stamp Set

For other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals, see: Read More: Commems Collection.

Edited by commems
08/15/2021 2:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18664 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2021  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1863 A Empire Français
5 Centimes - Napoleon III.

Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 68 / Views: 3,443Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: