Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

United States Mint Opens Sales For US Coast Guard 2.5 Oz. Silver Medal On Sale August 17

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,063Next Topic
Page: of 2
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  5:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
United States Mint Opens Sales For US Coast Guard 2.5 Oz. Silver Medal On Sale August 17
2021, August 17

US Mint - The United States Mint (Mint) will accept orders for 2.5 oz. silver medals honoring the U.S. Coast Guard starting on August 17 at noon EDT. This is the second release in the Mint's United States Armed Forces Silver Medal Program. Production is limited to 10,000 medals, with orders limited to one per household for the first 24 hours.

The U.S. Coast Guard medal weighs 2.5 ounces, is two inches in diameter, and is struck in 99.9 percent fine silver. Each medal is encapsulated and comes with the Mint's Certificate of Authenticity. The medal's obverse (heads) design was created by United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program (AIP) Designer Richard Masters and sculpted by retired United States Mint Medallic Artist Michael Gaudioso. The design depicts a Coast Guard national security cutter at full throttle, speeding head-on toward the viewer. The inscriptions "U.S. COAST GUARD" and the Coast Guard motto "SEMPER PARATUS" (always ready) are arced around the upper border. The hull number identifies the cutter Hamilton, named for Alexander Hamilton.

The reverse (tails) design was created by AIP Designer Thomas Hipschen and sculpted by Mint Metallic Artist Renata Gordon. The design depicts two iconic symbols of the Coast Guard: a life preserver ring and the racing stripe mark, which is found on almost all Coast Guard craft. The racing stripes are depicted with a heraldic hatching tradition to indicate color, with horizontal lines indicating the color blue and vertical lines indicating red. The Coast Guard emblem, which is part of the racing stripe mark, is also in the center. Inscribed on the life preserver ring are the Coast Guard's core values "HONOR," "RESPECT," and "DEVOTION TO DUTY."
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a good looking medal. I may have to get its smaller, cheaper little brother.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19247 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How many of them are to be minted?
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pkluck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19247 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bad; I should have read the original post more carefully.

With the large size of the medals, the high relief, and the high standards to which these medals will be required to be,
.999 silver is a better material from which these will be struck. Multiple (I guess4 ?) strikes will be needed for each medal. That means 40,000 strikes for the medal die pair, which would be about their limit.
Perhaps that helps to explain why 10,000 will be struck.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
353 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  02:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My fiancé's son is a Lieutenant Commander in the Coast Guard (the equivalent of a Major in the Army), so I'll be getting this for him. The Air Force medal recently released sold out their 10,000 allotment pretty quickly.
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19247 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  03:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps the limit should be increased to 20,000 by the production of another working die pair. The demand for them certainly seems to be there.
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2021  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add phillyprod to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought this medal the day it went on sale—my dad is a proud Coast Guard veteran.

It's still listed as PROCESSING. Perhaps they'll ship it one day.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2021  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pkluck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know the mint, received mine earlier this week.
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2021  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add phillyprod to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah. I reached out to the mint today... Was told there are delays. That's all they'll say.

So I wait....
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Was told there are delays. That's all they'll say.
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add phillyprod to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The funny thing is I worked directly across the street from the Philadelphia Mint! Can't I just.. like.. knock on the door?
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The funny thing is I worked directly across the street from the Philadelphia Mint! Can't I just.. like.. knock on the door?
Well, they have a gift shop.
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add phillyprod to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ha. It's currently closed because of Covid. Otherwise I would.
Valued Member
United States
417 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ordered one for my father-in-law CG vet within the first 2 minutes on day of release. It landed on my doorstep (literally...UPS left it there) less than an hour ago.
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2021  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ha. It's currently closed because of Covid. Otherwise I would.
Oh yeah.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,063Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: