Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Gold And Silver Eagle Security Feature

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 325Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
75 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  08:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just noticed the new counterfeit security feature on the gold/silver proof eagles. US mint pics show a missing reed on the bottom of the 2021 Type 2 proof 1oz gold and silver eagles with brief description. Wow. Not impressed. Looks pretty easy to make fakes. I hope there's more to this or another anti-counterfeit feature coming, laser engraving and padlock like on the Britannia?

Edited by livingwater
05/17/2021 08:22 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1477 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
those are artist renderings still I believe and they've kept it pretty secret exactly what they are doing, not sure what they are doing but I'd thing theres going to be a precise placement of that space in the reeding, and maybe vary it by year. I'd also expect there to be other ACMs incorperated or something done with that spot.

the entire reverse is changed and the feather detail won't be easy to reproduce in my opinion,

I mean there's clear differences on the obverse, and much more differences on the reverse besides just the notch in the reeding. The "AW" isn't going to be easy to pull off right either. In my opinion they went pretty soft and shallow on the obverse to make the details harder to copy well, while making the reverse highly detailed and making that harder to copy well also.

Edited by Big-Kingdom
05/17/2021 10:19 am
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct, these should be harder to fake than older ones and more security features hopefully coming. I just don't think the reed gap adds much to security as of now.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 325Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05