Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Belgian Congo 50 Francs 1944, My White Whale Is A White Elephant

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 486Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
411 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  4:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had wanted to have one of these big coins since I was a kid in 1964 when I saw one in R. S. Yeoman's book A Catalog of Modern World Coins.

I finally got one after 60 years.

Belgian Congo 50 Francs 1944
Silver, 35 mm, 17.37 gm, 500 fine
Obverse: Elephant facing left / 1944
Reverse: BANQUE DU CONGO BELGE (French) / BANK VAN BELGISCH CONGO (Flemish) / 50 FR
Mint: South African Mint in Pretoria

It was later joined by a similar but smaller coin:

Belgian Congo 2 Francs 1943
Brass, 28x25 mm, 5.93 gm, hexagonal
Mint: Philadelphia Mint

The United States was happy to mint these coins for the Belgian authorities.

The Belgian Congo had a large uranium mine which had been closed in 1937 as no one wanted uranium.

The mine was re-opened in 1944 and the newly mined uranium was sent to America.

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and on Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes
Valued Member
United States
439 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins! If you like elephants you might want to check out the many coins from India with elephants (11 pages from Zeno search).

http://search.zeno.ru/index.php?v=0...f=0&s=0&p=11
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5009 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone else notice the spelling error?
Edited by tdziemia
05/18/2021 9:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1049 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm 100% Belgian but I can't read/speak a lick of the Dutch/French languages. Please tell me what the coins say.
Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Good eye -- So one is a fake? Or a variety?
Those who know what's best for us, must save us from ourselves.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5009 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neither.
Probably a knowledge of Flemish spelling was not a job requirement for the die engraver in Philadelphia.

Quote:
Please tell me what the coins say.

Bank of the Belgian Congo. Once in French, once in Flemish.
Edited by tdziemia
05/18/2021 11:09 pm
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice finds!
I just got my Belgian Congo lion coin today. Had been looking for a nice example and got this UNC Details Cleaned, but just a light whizzing.

Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Probably a knowledge of Flemish spelling was not a job requirement for the die engraver in Philadelphia.

I would have assumed they were looking at a different coin of the belgian congo and could've read it off of there

Maybe they were bothered that an extra letter wouldnt have fit within the top of the hexagon like they wanted...
[Custom 7070 v3.0 WIP] - - - [Custom 7070 v2.0] - - - [Custom 7070 v1.0]
Edited by PNWType
05/19/2021 12:50 am
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
648 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

It is indeed a known spelling error. And no, it is not a fake, and neither a variety: the whole mintage has this spelling error.
The spelling error due to a english-speaking engraver, who forgot to put the C in BELGISCH.
And as most of our Belgian officials at the time were french-speaking, they didn't notice the spelling error neither.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
816 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a cool coin. Now I want one too!!
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 486Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05