Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Red Spotting On .999 Gold Komsco Round

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 301Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  7:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking at my gold stash today and found that my Komsco .999 round had red spotting on it. I've learned that gold coins with copper in it can spot red, but I'm surprised that a .999 gold round would spot. Any ideas how this could happen and if the grading services would be able to clean this round up?
The round was stored in its capsule, inside a coin baggie, inside a carton coin box inside a large safe along with other gold/silver coins and some guns/ammo. The other coins show no sign of spotting.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8607 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and some guns/ammo

That's how. That capsule is not completely air tight, as such sulfur, and other chemicals, in the smokeless powder will seep into the air, and into the capsule and onto the coin. I kept my guns and ammo separate for that reason.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3097 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that outgassing of sulfur from ammo can tone coins in a safe, but it's hard to imagine how that would cause that sneeze pattern on your coin, especially if you have silver coins that weren't affected. The central bullseye on those spots sure look like some tiny particles were on the surface when it was encapsulated and are reacting with the metal. .999 fine gold is also pretty inert—are you sure it's genuine? If you can remove it from the capsule, you could always try soaking in acetone in case they're not toning spots.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help. I think I will take the coins out of my gun safe and store them separately, although none of the other coins were affected.
It's true that the others were either in NGC holders or air-tites and all inside the coin cardboard box. None affected, only the Komsco round.
I bought the round from APMEX originally at the time of release so I'm not doubting the authenticity at this point. I wonder if maybe there was a problem in the manufacturing process.
It kind of confused me since the round is relatively new.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3097 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is some specks of metallic dust got on the coin before it was encapsulated. If it were less than .999 fine, it might be some impurity in the coin itself.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My guess is some specks of metallic dust got on the coin before it was encapsulated. If it were less than .999 fine, it might be some impurity in the coin itself.

That's what I was thinking-something in the production process.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  03:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenmorenee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably not from the ammo. No matter how you store them, if the coin has copper/silver contamination, you'll always get the red spots. It's been suggested online that the reason buffalos and pandas seem more prone to spots is because they are sealed in plastic right away.

Check out the thread a few posts down with the maple leaf and red/purple staining.

The lighter part of the spots disappear easily with a torch. The darker parts/spots need a bit more time (a few seconds more).

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
419 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Professional conservation of gold is usually quite successful. Especially small spotting like that. It is the most stable metal element. Silver a little less so, and copper I wouldn't even try. NCS/NGC used to have a flat fee special for conserving and grading gold. I paid $50 per coin.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
NCS/NGC used to have a flat fee special for conserving and grading gold. I paid $50 per coin.

Thanks! I'll probably end up doing this!
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenmorenee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would be a reasonable if they offered some sort of warranty or guarantee to redo it if the spots came back. But if you have several it might become too $$. If you have a generic round with spots, you should try the torch.

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 301Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05