Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2001 American Silver Eagle 9/11 Wtc PCGS

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,034Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
196 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  8:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wanted to see what y'all think about this one going to buy it for $140.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems to be about what they are going for at the moment. So it's not exactly a deal, but it's retail

The price is all for the historical importance, kinda like a Cazador shipwreck piece, so it being important to you is really what determines if you should get it.

The Eagle itself looks good, and it is a PCGS holder instead of an off brand.
Important to specify this is a certified coin NOT a graded coin. But I dont think they offer graded WTC recovery eagles.
[Custom 7070 v3.0 WIP] - - - [Custom 7070 v2.0] - - - [Custom 7070 v1.0]
Edited by PNWType
05/20/2021 9:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One actually just sold 2 days ago on eBay for $240
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11979 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's the story behind these? I haven't seen that before.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40838 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  05:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a very good example of buying the slab and not the coin, IMHO. Check eBay sold values for current values.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1183 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I must agree with John1. At some point, like most history, 9/11 will fade from the collective memory and the value will reflect that accordingly comparative to graded specimens of the same date.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Valued Member
206 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reminds me of SS Republic half dollars. All it says on the holders is "SS Republic Shipwreck effect" but if you take a look at them all of them are damaged from the salt water.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6386 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's the story behind these? I haven't seen that before.

From what I've read, a number of ASEs were found in underground vaults at the World Trade Center site during the cleanup of the site. Other coins were also found - I have a 1961 10 Pesos coin from Uruguay in the same type of holder. Gold Eagles were also found, as were some other world coins.

Many of the ASEs (and other coins) were encapsulated and labelled to indicate their provenance before being offered to collectors.

I wonder if the upcoming 20th anniversary of 9-11 is driving up retail prices? These coins were priced at much lower levels a few years ago.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
103760 Posts
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got the coin today has PCGS on the back and not collector's universe like most of them some of them I've seen have a Cert # and some don't so I guess that's how they made them.

Pillar of the Community
United States
519 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Saw one at auction recently and did a quick search about them. As someone new to the hobby, seems to me things like this and also "emergency" mintings really require a huge amount of trust in both dealers and graders! As for the 9/11 coins, I'd almost rather want one that was damaged. More poignant...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1545 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the earliest ones are collectors universe on the back and the PCGS slab. this is all a marketing gimmick though, it doesn't mean there isn't an interest in it, just saying that I seriously doubt they were actually recovered from Ground Zero but that's just my opinion. What I heard is the marketing co that did this donated $40K to the ANA, and $300K from the proceeds to the WTC memorial, no idea what the percentage it was worked on though.
since they aren't tracked or numbered, your guess is as good as mine how many of them actually exist out there.

I don't have much faith in humanity, and I look at something like this as the worst of people trying to cash in on a tragedy.
No bar code, no grade, just a quick flip to the marketplace to make a buck and strike while the iron is hot.
Pillar of the Community
United States
519 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"No bar code, no grade, ."

I just noticed that!
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea no barcode but some of them that have sold have no barcode.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3080 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't have much faith in humanity, and I look at something like this as the worst of people trying to cash in on a tragedy.
No bar code, no grade, just a quick flip to the marketplace to make a buck and strike while the iron is hot.

I agree, someone even went so far to have a 1991 Silver Eagle slabbed with the 9-11 moniker. 10 years before the Towers fell.

eBay item number:363406913487

I think it is disgraceful.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2021  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought one of these myself a few years ago. To me it's a somber piece of history of an event that forever changed our nation. I view it as a historical artifact of the most tragic event of my lifetime. 9/11 ranks with JFK and MLK assasinations to me. My 9/11 eagle has a special place in my collection that is set apart from all of my other coins. More of a historical piece than a coin really.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,034Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05