Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bronze Medallion: Green Spot/Bronze Disease Cleaning Suggestions

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,128Next Topic
Page: of 2
Slovenia
14 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  2:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Artemis737 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Any tips/suggestions for cleaning the green spot on this MACO bronze medallion? Must have developed only recently...

Thank you

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5052 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum Artemis! You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Explore and Enjoy!

There is a product out there called Verdi-Care. If you can find some I've heard it's awesome.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Edited by chafemasterj
05/25/2021 4:16 pm
Slovenia
14 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Artemis737 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your warm welcome and the suggestion. I may try it. Received the medallion today; the spot must have formed only recently, it was not present in the photos.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20411 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2021  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You could try simply washing in water. Or if available, soak in Acetone. Remember after any and all attempts to place in a air free container.
just carl
Slovenia
14 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Artemis737 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, will try distilled water first.
Slovenia
14 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Artemis737 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will proceed according to the polarity ladder. If the distilled water and acetone methods fail, then how should I obtain Verdi-Care? BadThad no longer makes it, right? Any alternatives?
Also, how long should I soak it in the distilled water? Already found suggestions for the acetone bath.
Edited by Artemis737
05/27/2021 6:45 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61646 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'll find Verdi-Care eventually, and it will work, but what you'll likely see instead of a green spot is a contrasting light spot in its place.
Slovenia
14 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Artemis737 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info/encouragement. Light spot is better than the green spot, I guess. The spot must have formed only recently (perhaps during transit?). The listing photo did not show it:
Edited by Artemis737
05/28/2021 10:47 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61646 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Takes quite a while for verdigris to form. Something fishy here.
Slovenia
14 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Artemis737 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure it's verdigris? It looks soft, like a green droplet. Purchased distilled water and pure acetone. For how long should I soak it in the distilled water?
Slovenia
14 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Artemis737 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After 24hr bath in distilled water and 40 minutes bath in pure acetone. What do you think, should I repeat or wait for Verdi-Care?:
Hope it's OK to use (pure) acetone on a bronze coins/medallions...

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61646 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks pretty darn good to me! Congrats!
Slovenia
14 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Artemis737 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Coinfrog! Thanks to this forum, I'm always learning new things. ;)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with Coinfrog. First pic with the angle showing under the plane looks like verdigris. But in an early stage. Which is good, you took care of it before it caused any pitting. But I think it had been there a while. Prob some creative photog from the seller.

I bet that's why you see a light spot now. The rest of the medal had toned, while the verdigris covered spot did not. Which is another reason I think the spot has been there a while. Newly exposed metal surfaces tend to tone faster. So I bet that spot catches up with the rest of the medal. 2 years for now you won't see it.

And yes limited 100% acetone soak is fine on most metals. Just get the stuff from the hardware store. Not the nail polish remover.

Learned the hard way that not all metals can take a long term soak. I've got memory issues. So I just plain forgot I put a Haitian copper penny in the acetone. Realized it days later. The copper was pitted. Also had a silver coin in there. No pitting, but it had picked up some dark spotting. Almost like some of the copper had transferred to it.

Now I leave a light on over my work area when soaking anything.
Slovenia
14 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Artemis737 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the comment, Lancek. You may be right; paid only $10 for the Grumman medal. Currently, I'm focusing on space related coins/medallions. Also have the A14 Franklin Mint mini coin, which, like many others, acquired this black tarnish on the edge (not sure if it's removable from the presentation though). Any suggestions?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5052 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Currently, I'm focusing on space related coins/medallions.

Please oh please start a thread or share your space related finds here. I for one would love to see what you've acquired.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,128Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05