Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question Regarding Fantasy Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 428Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Australia
822 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  9:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
From memory a coin (from a numismatic perspective) must have at least A) a face value and B) be issued by a governing authority. Since fantasy coins have neither, why are they called coins even among numismatists? Wouldn't fantasy token or medallion be a better term?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11971 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2021  04:26 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A fantasy coin can be a token, but it's not a fantasy token. It's a real token and a coin in your fantasy.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
822 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

A fantasy coin can be a token, but it's not a fantasy token. It's a real token and a coin in your fantasy.

Learn More...
Australia
13809 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A "fantasy coin" does have a denomination/face value, and does have a designated "country of issue". It's just that, for a fantasy coin, the face value has never had any legal tender status in the designated country, because either the country does not exist (true fantasies), the country de facto exists but its independence and right to issue coinage is not recognized by other countries (unrecognized coins), or the country does exist but the legitimate government of that country never authorized the issue of that coin (unofficial coins).

In short, a fantasy coin is trying to fool you into believing that it is a real coin. If you hold a fantasy coin in your hand it looks "exactly like a real coin", and the only way to find out that it is not in fact a "real coin" is to try to look it up in a coin catalogue. Even then, the catalogues sometimes get it wrong, if they are unaware of the non-legality of certain coins.

I would restrict the term "fantasy medallion" to a coin-like object which does NOT have a designated country stated upon it. A good example would be the "fantasy dollars" of China, struck to the same size as a Chinese dollar and with a coin-like overall design but featuring design elements never used for actual Chinese coins, like the "eight immortals" or "four famous beautiful ladies" series.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 428Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05