Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1967 Bobcat Commemorative 25 Cent Exceeds Tolerance!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 596Next Topic  
Valued Member

Trinidad And Tobago
465 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  9:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1967 Bobcat commemorative 25 cent EXCEEDS TOLERANCE!!!
This coin exceeds the tolerance by FAR!!!
Should read 5.83 grams.
+/- .02grams for 50 % Silver and
.04 grams for 80 % Silver
It also passed the Silver Test.
This coin have exceed .09grams.
More than 4 times the tolerance if 50 % Silver
More than 2 times the tolerance if 80 % Silver

Edited by ikuna
06/01/2021 9:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
956 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I see it is a silver. the weight is ok for this kind of silver alloy. If you look on the others specs you will find that probably the planchet is thicker. This occur many time in this series.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
956 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other thing it is the dirty. you do not thing this will be scaled?
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
465 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silviosi ,So the tolerance guide is totally incorrect ?
Many times it exceeds the tolerance by 2 to 4 times ?

Then they should have not mislead so many people since this excess silver is common based on your knowledge.

Also it is not dirty. It is circulated.
Over .1 grams of dirt ?
I have many more dirtier coins and they are all within the tolerance range.
If it was under the tolerance range then you would have told me that it is worn.
I need FAIR critique .
I'm very disappointed with your illogical comments.
Edited by ikuna
06/01/2021 10:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8545 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Mint specs and collectors tolerances are two different things.
Collectors will tolerate +-5% before they take notice of a circulated coin, unless of course it's a wrong planchet strike.
You would have to weigh tens of thousands of these coins to establish it's rarity.
Till then it's interesting but not desirable for most.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
465 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM it is the first time that I am hearing that out of the tolerance is still not good enough. So over 5% is the gauge
This would mean that a wrong planchet would be very hard to determine since many different planchets are under 5 % is weight difference.
I respect your comments nevertheless because it seems logical.
What I find unfair though, I had post a coin within the tolerance but just within.
I was told by folks here that it was still within tolerance hence not special.
I now post one outside the tolerance by as much 4 times and I am still told not specials I must pass 5 %.
It seems like I can never get credit for any coin that I post here.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4815 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There really is no magical tolerance # for a coin to become an error, but the weight difference will be large enough to be a wrong planchet strike as quarter on penny, nickel, dime, or foreign coins that the RCM strikes. Whether it's 4 or 6% weight difference the coin will look like a normal strike, most collectors if not all really don't care about minor errors, good thing with this coin is it's silver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4845 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, so it exceeds the mints tolerance on weight....Good thing, you got more silver there......Bad thing, does this error bring any added premium above melt values? IMO, no because it's a circulated coin and I haven't seen any "heavy" coins in an auction solely for its weight..Just add it to your silver stack

Edited: FYI, I believe Silviosi works for the RC Mint, so I would put value in what he contributes.....just saying...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Edited by Greasy Fingers
06/02/2021 12:37 am
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
465 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  05:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1254 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I weighed the one I have on my desk, came out at 5.91, only a sample of one, but it wouldn't surprise me if more like it. I think it is either a PL or SP coin.
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
465 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Purelywasted, that makes the most sense, because the coin stands out from the others with a glow. So you are most likely correct.
Either a PL or SP coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 596Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05