Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About Reverse Of 1998 P Roosevelt Dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 134Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
344 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  08:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone possibly help me understand what these markings are I have circled and enlarged?
It's definitely raised and doesn't connect to anything.
I know there's a lot of machines doubling on this coin but that doesn't appear to be the cause.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51551 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the color is from reflection to the lighting. But the reason for that area to reflect is that the metal is curving on that area. How could this happen. Well if you just think on what you see on the coin, thinking about the die is the easier explanation. When a die is polished, the fields are the affected areas.The field is the outside of the die. The devices/design is in varying levels into the die. The die is just the opposite of the coin. Where the coin is raised, the die is incuse. So when I polishing happens, if the edges of the outside field area is reduced near a device, it removes a little more metal from that edge. So when it removes even the edge of a device, the coin will show a raised area next to the device. The polishing is weakening the fresh squared edge, when the polisher dips into the opening of the device. The worker does not see this happening, but it shows up on the coins struck by that die. That is what you are seeing on your coin. Remember, when looking for a doubled die, look at the centers of the devices, on on the outside edges. Die abrasion, die polishing scratches and Machine Doubling can make it look like something there. But on a doubled die you will see the devices enlarged in the center of the devices. Look for the spread or now on the single squeeze dies, the next term I'm using is distortion of the devices. But the locations of the DDRs are not on the outside edges of devices. About this time the single squeeze dies started. The DDR is in a total opposite area on these on the dimes. The are more towards the centers of the designs.

So look in the areas where known DDRs are found. The new dies are showing doubled dies in a different area. Also on the obverses of dimes, they are very few.
http://www.varietyvista.com/07%20Ro...Listings.htm
Check out the link to see what years to look for on the DDO on dimes. This will surprise you. You will stop looking at obverses. 1989-P is the last one listed on V.V. Wexler lists just one that is a big deal, but not many know about this one:

So not much going on with dimes, except for the 1999- present on the reverses. The rest of these looking at these is a waste of time. But someone may find a new die, if you are looking in the right areas, and not on the areas that were popular years ago. Look in the central areas of the designs for a new listing. (Same on dimes and quarters) The target areas is the same, in the centers.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You've learned from the best!
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well once again coop you have explained so thoroughly. I didn't exactly think it was a doubled die but I did want to learn about the cause and you have definitely helped me on that. Thank you.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51551 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I'm glad the message made it through.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 134Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05