Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1966 Canadian Silver Dollar - Small Beads ?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 62,927Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2009  11:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ztropf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone help me figure out if this has the 'Small Beads' ... Thanks!
See image...

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1166 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2009  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikandiggit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to the Charlton Canadian Coins 2009 catalogue, it looks to be large beads.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5318 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2009  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think yours is a large beads. On SBs, the gaps between beads are larger and the I in REGINA points to a bead.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5318 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did another search for an online reference, and found a coin on Heritage Auctions.
Here's a detail to compare the distance between beads and the alignment of the "I" in REGINA to a bead:

Btw, the 1966 SB is extremely rare.
One book I have gives a mintage total of 480.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2009  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ztropf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another picture, the 'I' looks like you described but the spaces in between look to small ....wishful thinking I guess :)

Pillar of the Community
United States
5318 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2009  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, if you compare my pic to your coin, you'll find the "I" on the LB is more centered between the larger beads. It's subtle, and has thrown me several times too.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2009  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ztropf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your help.
Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2009  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shadyric to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
l have a 1966 small bead silver dollar but its a bit tarnished who can tell me the best product to use to clean it thx
Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2011  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanuckCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't clean the coin! Never do that. Seeing as your post is over 2 years old, I think I may be a bit late... arg
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2012  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgan-lover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my 2 cents on this subject.

I was dealing with a Canadian Dealer who had 2 small beads 1966 dollars for sale. I had some 1965 and 1966 Canadian Dollars; So, I wanted to know what was a large bead 1966. Right off he wanted me to send him my coin. Instead, I sent photos to him. He wanted to buy the coin but I had to sent it to him. No dice. I hunted and hunted on how to determine a large bead dollar from a small bead dollar.
Here is what I was told by another Canadian coin dealer.

1. The "I" in Regina must point to the bead directly above it and not between the beads
2. Count the beads from the "I" to the Bead directly above the top of the "A"
3. There are "10" Beads from the "I" to the "A" and the letters must point directly to the beads.
4. If the letters are between beads, you have a large bead coin.

There are other diagnostics but too much to lay out here. This is the fastest way to cherry pick this particular coin. Most of them (1966) look almost proof-like. I must also say, I have read contrary account on how to diagnose this coin. Also, there are Small, Medium and large beads

The 1966 Small bead dollar coin is worth serious money.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1354 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2012  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Chick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where can you find information on a medium bead one?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8469 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2012  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are no '66 medium beads.'65 medium beads are clearly shown in Charlton's.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2013  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add September1910 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello!
I have cannot decide whether this 1966 Silver Canadian Coin I have has the large or the small beads.
Can anyone help me?
Much appreciated!!
Regard

s.
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2013  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add September1910 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, that image is probabl too small, here is a large one...

Pillar of the Community
Canada
650 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2013  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it has the right orientation.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
650 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2013  01:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here are a couple of mine raw ,Kurts pic is great reference,see if anyone else gives an opinion.

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 62,927Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05