Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which Is Your Favourite Ancient Coin From Your Collection And Why?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 336Next Topic  

United Kingdom
26 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  3:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jaymassive79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi Guys

One thing that's clear is a lot of the moderators, experts, contributors and long standing members on this board continue day in day out to provide excellent advice to a lot of new members and for that I want to say thank you.

After reading many threads its clear some coin info needed threads are from drive by people i.e. those with no interest in the hobby but grandad died and left a coin or 2 to them, others are potentially scammers looking to gain knowledge to hone their despicable craft and finally folk likeyself who are newbies but have genuinely developed a love for this great hobby and whom benefit greatly from your advice and guidance. It must be a chore to work out who the scammers are and guard against not giving to much away.

I imagine it's not a great deal of fun for the advance collector seeing the same help with this coin posts day in day out so I thought posting about something a little different might be welcomed? (if not apologies in advance)

I was wanting to know from those happy to share what is your current favourite ancient coin in your collection and why?

Cheers Jay
Pillar of the Community
United States
5860 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should make for an interesting thread.

I haven't collected any coins for a couple years now. But, among my faves, are these two from Elymais.

The top coin is an AE tet from the Elymaean king Phraates from the early to mid 2nd century AD. It is special for a few reasons. First, it's pretty exceptional for the type - one of the best I've seen. It is also a plate coin, used to illustrate the type (van't Haaff 14.7.1-1B.a) in Pieter Anne van't Haaff's "Catalogue of Elymaean Coinage" (2007). Finally, it is actually from Anne's collection, and was purchased directly from him. He was a nice fellow, generous with his time, who helped me on several occasions. He is missed.

The bottom coin is an AR tet of Kamnakires IV, c. 63/2 - 54/3 BC, van't Haaff 8.1.1B. I own six coins from this ruler, but this was the first. It's got some evidence of double-striking, and has a neat little countermark of Nike. The king's portrait is youthful (looking almost like a young Caracalla with long hair), indicating the coin is from early in his reign. I also have some coins showing him bearded, from a few years later.

Edited by Bob L
06/11/2021 3:59 pm
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first "twelve Caesars" coin.

Julius Caesar (47-46 B.C.) 3.90 gm.
O: Diademed head of Venus right.
R: Aeneas walking left and carrying Anchises and Palladium.

Pillar of the Community
United States
872 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very hard question to answer. Not sure if I have a favorite, each coin has it's own special special place. But these two were purchased when I was confident enough to to take a chance on an unknown seller. Therefore, they were my first "big score". The vintage holders add to the nostalgia as well.
Roman Republic, C. VIBIUS C.F. CN. PANSA CAETRONIANUS. Denarius (48 BC). Rome.
Obv: PANSA.Mask of Pan right.
Rev: C VIBIVS C F CN IOVIS AXVR.

Augustus Caesar As Eagle S.C. Commemorative issue Deified Augustus
Obverse: Radiate head of Augustus left; DIVVS AVGVSTVS PATER
Translation: Divus Augustus Pater (Divine August Father)
Reverse: Eagle between large SC, facing standing on globe, head right, wings spread.
Lettering: S C
Translation: Senatus Consulto (By Decree of the Senate)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
711 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is difficult to pick a single favorite among my ancient coins, each has its special qualities that made me acquire it. But perhaps it is this Celtic coin from Gaul, Carnutes or Eburovices tribe, 40-30 BC? Bronze, 2.51 g, 15.5 mm. Obverse inscription: PIXTIL[OS].

What I especially like about it is the amazing detail of the horse, with hooves and muscles and everything. It must have been a really talented engraver to make such a naturalistic depiction of an animal on such a rather small coin.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2287 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coins shown guys!
As has already been said it's 'very very difficult' to pick just one!
My Avatar is one that I pick up every day and it still gives me a buzz!
Antoninus Pius. 138-161 AD. AE Dupondius (11.76 gm, 25.3mm). Rome mint. Struck 154-155 AD.
Obv.. ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XVIII, radiate head right.
Rev.. LIBERTAS COS IIII / S - C, Libertas with pileus and sceptre standing left.
RIC 933....BMC 1469. gVF.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58218 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know nothing of ancients, but this is a thread I'll watch every day. Beautiful specimens, all of you.
United Kingdom
26 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  06:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaymassive79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Some amazing contributions guys and some incredible coins!

I'm glad I'm not the only person who finds selecting a favourite difficult, in fact ask me the same question a few weeks later and the answer may well be different!

erafjel the detsil on the horse is amazing especially considering the coin size!

Bob I find it really interesting seeing hoe the emeprors, kings age on the coins during their reign. From baby faced to grizzled lol

I'll put up some pictures later this evening.

Jay
Edited by jaymassive79
06/15/2021 06:49 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18541 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My avatar coin. Why?
1. The ancient equivalent of a British gold sovereign that saw wide "international" use. Because of this,
2. One of the most well known and famous of ancient coins, they provided the financial underpinning for the rise of the Empire of Alexander the Great, which is a major turning point in ancient history. The rise of the Alexandrine Empire was predicted in the Book of Daniel.
3. My coin was minted in Pella - thunderbolt mint mark, - has a personal connection for me, because I visited this town - waaay back in 1970.
4. (Personal) I like the design in preference to the Nike staters.

(This coin has been in my collection since the mid 1980's, and was the first ancient Greek coin in my collection. Was bought from Spinks London - I still have all of the purchase documentation for it.)
Edited by sel_69l
06/15/2021 07:58 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58218 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sel - can you show us large images of your avatar coin?
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 336Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05