Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Canadian: 2008 Ultra High Relief Poppy Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 401Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6392 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  10:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's the second of the Poppy Silver Dollars (SDs) issued by the Royal Canadian Mint (R C M) - the 2008 ultra-high relief (UHR) release. The coin features a similar design to its 2004 cousin - a poppy flower superimposed on a maple leaf with a ribbon below it that includes the bilingual (English/French) inscription "REMEMBER / SOUVENIR". Unique to the 2008 coin is the commemorative inscription at the rim, below the poppy/maple leaf design; it reads "1918 ARMISTICE 2008".

The 2008 SD was issued to mark the 90th anniversary of the 1918 World War I Armistice - agreed to by the Allies and Germany on November 11, 1918. It ended four+ years of fighting, during which over 20 million died. WWI engaged 20+ countries, predominantly in Europe, including France, the United Kingdom, Belgium, Italy, Austria-Hungary, Bulgaria and Germany) , but also countries in Asia (e.g., Russia, China, Japan), Africa (e.g., South Africa, German East Africa) and North America (i.e., Canada, United States) plus Australia and New Zealand.

The biggest difference between the 2004 SD and the 2008 release is the UHR strike seen on the 2008 coin. The poppy flower at the center is presented in noticeably higher relief on the 2008 SD. The 2008 Poppy-Armistice SD was the first-ever UHR silver dollar struck by the R C M). It needs to be pointed out that the poppy flower on the 2008 coin is significantly smaller than the one found on the 2004 SD - this helped make the 2008 UHR strike a much easier proposition.

The coin was a Limited Edition (vs. a Special Edition) proof silver dollar struck on a 0.925 fine silver planchet (i.e., sterling silver); the coin has a diameter of 36.15 millimeters (mm) and weighs 30.0 grams - a touch bigger and heavier than the standard relief SD; the Mint used the same size and weight planchet for its UHR SD, The Sun, in 2010. Per the Mint's Annual Reports for 2008 and 2009 (combined), the UHR Poppy SD had total sales of 4,994 units; it had a mintage limit of 5,000. The SD's original issue price was $139.95 CAD.

I remember that the delivery of my order for this 2008 UHR coin happened much more quickly vs. the 2010 UHR SD. The Mint had multiple production issues with the latter which caused the delivery of the 2010 The Sun dollar to slip by many months! I remember calling the R C M multiple times to make sure my order was still in the system and would - eventually - be delivered. It was!

(See my post on the 2004 Poppy dollar to learn more about the significance of the poppy flower depicted on the coin.)

To compare with, or to learn more about, the 2004 Poppy SD, check out:

- 2004 Poppy Dollar

For more posts about Canadian commemorative coins and medals, check out: Read More: Commems Collection

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
06/16/2021 11:52 am
Learn More...
United States
103760 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 401Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05