Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Canadian: 2010 Poppy Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 324Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6117 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  07:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In 2010, the Royal Canadian Mint issued another "remembrance" silver dollar featuring a poppy flower - it was issued following the passing of the last Canadian World War I veteran. Per the Mint's web page for the coin, the silver dollar was issued to pay tribute to veterans, as well as current members, of Canada's military and peacekeeping forces.

The last known Canadian WWI veteran was John Henry Foster Babcock. He was born on July 23, 1900 and died on February 18, 2010 at the age of 109. Babcock was Canada's lone survivor of WWI military service from May 10, 2007 until his death. On a somewhat morbid note, the speed at which the Mint brought the coin to market has always made me think that it had already put production details in place for the SD in anticipation of receiving word of Babcock's death. Of course, production of the coin could have been already been in motion at the time of Babcock's death and would have been issued regardless - maybe the R C M simply included him in its promotion of its otherwise "general purpose" coin.

John Henry Foster Babcock, circa 1920

The coin was a Special Edition proof dollar silver that featured red enamel on the flower of a single large poppy in the foreground with a field of poppies in the background. The restrained use of the enameling is simple, effective and attractive - and even as someone who prefers non-enhanced coins, I find the design very compelling. Christine Paquet was the designer of the coin's commemorative reverse.

Mintage of the coin was capped at 5,000; it was a sell-out with 4,975 units sold (the balance of 25 unsold units is accounted for by damaged/unsalable specimens). The initial selling price for the coin was $139.95 (CAD).

To learn more about two of Canada's other Poppy silver dollars, check out:

- 2004 Poppy Dollar
- 2008 Ultra-High-Relief Poppy Dollar

For other of my posts about Canadian commemorative coins and medals, check out: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2227 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting Commems.
I always enjoy the read on your posts.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59431 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure most of us do!
Learn More...
United States
102095 Posts
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the story on all three. An event deserving of commemoration.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 324Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05