Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Golden 2009 Shield.surprise

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 354Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
126 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  6:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I found this lurking around the flat.

The pictures were shield side in daylight but I forgot to take the front side so is a night photo which I never realised was so frustrating. The green is my phones reflection.
Its extremely lustrous but I cant find any document for it but its a Gold plated very well struck looking but am no expert. I have the 3 set not 2009 cant remember but is one normal one Silver proof and 1 Gold plated and was thinking of throwing this in as a 4 coin Ebay. Anyone know a fair price for it?
Edited by SueCoin
06/22/2021 7:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
652 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  01:58 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe any gold-plated coins were made by The Royal Mint, so either someone else has been playing around, or you have the Gold Proof version!
If the latter, you have hit the jackpot - several 1000s...
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
604 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  03:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Proof 50p coins dated 2009 were produced, but I think all feature the Kew Gardens reverse.
https://www.chards.co.uk/2009-kew-g...p-coin/10534

Edited by Hogarth
06/23/2021 04:19 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
52 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  04:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add saxon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's plated, but not by the mint
United Kingdom
40 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might've been gold plated by The Royal Mint - if a private company ordered a bulk lot of them to resell: https://www.royalmint.com/corporate...les/options/

It must be easier to do that than plate them yourself.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
126 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2021  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Royal Mint did a 2009 gold plated all coins set so it probably got split up as there are marks on it. Visible on the Queens nose there's a scratch but not deep enough to penetrate the plating. An ebay seller has the full packaged uncirculated 6 coin set for 120 describing the 50p as special.
See the scratch and little marks.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
52 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2021  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add saxon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a guy in Scotland who plates circulation coins to sell at a premium.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
482 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2021  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weigh it easily Solved ;)
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 354Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05