Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just Recd Fake 2007 1 Oz 99999 Gold Maple Leaf From Ebay Seller.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,021Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
66 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  02:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add glenmorenee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bid on a 2007 1oz five 9s gold maple leaf and happened to win it. Previous high bidder withdrew his bid, leaving me the high bidder. That was my first clue. Pics had the hair on the Queen a bit mushy but I hadn't heard of any fake 2007 five 9s.

Seller was actually local to me but declined face to face pickup and threw in free shipping. Second clue.

Recd coin. First check weight and it was good. Then the ping test was nothing. Maples don't have a great ping to begin with but this was like lead. Checked width, it was close but thickness was all over the place. Other small details I noticed, the partial reeded edge was deeper than others I have seen. Lack of detail in hair. Under a loupe, the bust had fine scratches thru out and had that plated look.

Returned coin and had transaction reversed.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19083 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has the eBay seller attempted to sell more fake coins, or was this transaction a single honest mistake?

Seller needs to know if he is honest, or exposed for fraudulent trading if he is dishonest.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenmorenee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe he is a bad seller. He mixes in good coins with bad. Positive feedback from previous purchasers are either woefully uninformed or may be shills. He sells under at least 2 identities as they both share a particular type of photo with the coin and an analyzer. He takes the return without question or comment or apology. So as far as ebay is concerned, every thing is fine.

Pillar of the Community
United States
593 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bad seller? That's a $2000 transaction and a felony in my state. People have died for less.

Not only is he a bad seller, he's a stupid one. He's risking jail time - and worse from people who don't take kindly to be scammed.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11944 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you please provide a link to his listings
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenmorenee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should be as clear and precise as possible.

I am certain the coin he sent me was not genuine.

I don't know what he has sent others. I suspect he uses at least 3 different selling names based solely on the similarity of the pictures used in the auctions.

Search ebay for:

"2007 Canada maple leaf gold 1 oz" and you'll bring up one offering that I suspect is fake. I don't know if this is the same seller that sold to me. I suspect he is, based on the similar photos. You will also bring up legit offerings that you can compare. Lack of detail in the hair is the most obvious error.

Then click on Sold or Completed offerings. You'll bring up a bunch that I suspect are fake. Mine is the one for $1952. You can see who the sellers are. You'll also note that some of the recent sales produce NO feedback which is odd.

Let me know what you guys think of the current offering and the past ones.
Edited by glenmorenee
06/23/2021 7:07 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19083 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never been scammed.

Then again, I like to see in hand every coin of significant value before deciding to buy it.
Nevertheless, using eBay to find an honest seller has it's obvious merits. If such a seller can be subsequently contacted personally, I am happy to meet the seller and deal with him. As a bonus, you get to see lots of other coins for sale as well.

Quite often people who sell on eBay are established honest coin dealers, or are private honest sellers who are trying to grow a secondary business, parallel to their main source of income.

That is not the way eBay was intended to be used, but when the occasion arises, that is the way I use it. Also good for price research.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11944 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Instead of us having to search eBay, just post a link as requested.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenmorenee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Search with that term and the first one up is what I think is a questionable offering. Click on the sold items under the same search terms and there are 6 finished auctions that I think are questionable, one of which is the one I bid on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9668 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANA #R3154474
Edited by BH1964
06/23/2021 10:10 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19083 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beware: fakes such as this one can have a tungsten core, with a heavy gold cover. Tungsten and gold are of almost exactly the dame density, so the weight of fakes can the same, and the fake will also test genuine with XRF.

With fakes with tungsten core, ping tone test will expose it.
Very close comparative visual examination with a known genuine example alongside will show die differences.
However, a fake shown by itself in poor on screen pictures will not necessarily show up those those differences.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1986 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could you please provide a link to his listings

Quote:
Instead of us having to search eBay, just post a link as requested.

I'll agree with this request so there is no mistake who you are talking about.
Edited by jasper62
06/24/2021 7:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is just me, but I don't have it in me to buy an expensive coin on ebay. There are just too many scammers out there.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2021  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenmorenee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should have no problem with any of the big dealers, i.e. APMEX, Liberty, Pinehurst, etc. They are well oiled machines and offer great service. Their shipping is impeccable and most certainly influenced by their insurance companies.

Final note: The guy offered me $200 cash thru PayPal IF I were to remove my negative feedback. I ignored his request.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen those ebay entries with a coin being measured on the scanner. My first thought was, "How does that prove that's the coin I'm getting?"

I also agree that I've bought expensive coins on ebay from the known players. But usually, in that case I'd go to their website and get it from there. Exception would be if it is on ebay but not available on their site.

You are lucky you discovered the deception. And should be applauded for not caving in on reporting the deception to others.
Edited by HappyHippo
07/08/2021 9:20 pm
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wizened to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are some Youtube videos that argue that much of the gold sold on ebay is fake. It stands to reason. I see a lot of fake silver coins in the $50-$300 value range, and many of them sell, and many of the buyers post good reviews. It stands to reason that this would be similarly true for gold, if not worse, since there is more money at stake.

I would note in passing that the design of that coin is simple in appearance. There certainly are coins that have more difficult designs to replicate, and that would give the buyer a better opportunity to detect fakes.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,021Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05