Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Musical Instruments On Coins But Not A Bagpipe In Sight!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 323Next Topic  

United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  07:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sevensided to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Having played the bagpipes for 25 years I have occasionally seen a medal or token with a bagper or set of bagpipes on, but whilst coins across the world frequently feature all sorts of other instruments I have never see a bagpipe on one - not even in Scotland!!!
It is one of the oldest instruments instruments we have dating even back to Roman times and even possibly before with shepherds using them as a progression of the whistle/flute, yet I have never seen a proper legal tender coin with one on despite the bagpipe being a popular (and sometimes not!!!) insttument in many countries across the globe.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59474 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See thread "French Brass Token that Features a Bagpipe" just today.
Learn More...
United States
102171 Posts
Learn More...
United States
20087 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@7s, if you are willing to stretch a little bit on how you define "proper legal tender coin", you might be in luck with these two NCLTs (one from Moldova and one from Russia):

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/in...pipe&ct=coin
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3538 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also this Austrian 10 euros.

It is frequently said that the emperor Nero issued a coin type featuring himself playing a bagpipe, but I was unable to find a picture (or anything at all besides the bare fact, which apparently originates from Suetonius).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59474 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, misunderstood.
Learn More...
United States
102171 Posts
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sevensided to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the links to some of the other 'coins' which feature the bagpipe.

They are interesting to my collection despite their 'legal status' considerations so am most grateful for everyone's help.

I think Europa stamps issued a collection of bagpipe related ones a few years ago with 14 different countries producing their own version of the instrument. Fingers crossed the coin industry might do the same one day but I doubt it!!!

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 323Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05