Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Exonumia Upgrade That Took Some 40 Or So Years.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 263Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
59 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  08:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I remember being excited (I would have been a preteen) to check off the tourism stop checklist to get this... "Award", lol, actually, I think and I don't know if I would rely too heavily on my memory, that the checklist was stamped by the sponsors when one stopped by... maybe someone remembers and can refresh and or confirm or deny my memory.

The set, coming from my West Ed Mall Dealer, was in the bargain bin and was a mere $5.

I attempted to gain specification details online and found some on that En Numista site. What it didn't tell me was when they began and ended production, which is what I went initially searching for... anyone know the answer?

Anyways, the set brings back memories and I am glad my Bronze Medal was not abandoned somewhere throughout the Age I have lived.

I wonder if mine looked like the other when I received it 40 some years ago... I guess I really was a collector way back when and have much catching up to do... no wonder my spending to acquire mine artful preciouses always seems like a frenzy!

The new Bronze is toning sweetly and of course, not fully realized in photo format, if I may add.

Happy Weekend Y'all... we're into maybe hitting +35C or so soon here! Stay well in your Sun!

Learn More...
United States
102171 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6127 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice upgrade! Always nice to have a "minty fresh" complete set. Thanks for posting!

This was the first I've heard of these pieces. Are you a collector of Alberta numismatics?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Canada
59 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are you a collector of Alberta numismatics?

You know the thing about falling into the snare of numismatics for an obsessive like me, you end up wanting one of everything.

I want one of everything still surviving and yet available that has ever been printed, minted, poured, chiseled, hammered and or torched since the dawn of this art form.

Is Alberta stuff high in the "gotta get it now" top ten... not exactly... this 3 pce. set was a new add to my dealers discounted bin and I do have memories, yet surviving, from the time I got my first and only medal legitimately by touring Alberta.

Just a neato co-inc-e-dink.

thanks for allowing me the opportunity to blab... my sponsor assumes no responsibility.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6127 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I want one of everything...

Just one? How can you display them in an exhibit if you can't show obverse and reverse (or front and back) at the same time? I always go for two! (Just kidding!)

As a stateside collector, I don't have a large Canadian collection but I do have a few medals from the Alberta Centennial back in 2005. I've posted about them, along with the $10 commemorative coin, over in the Canadian NCLT coin forum.

Good luck with your collecting!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Canada
59 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How can you display them in an exhibit if you can't show obverse and reverse (or front and back) at the same time?

If I could host an Exhibit I would want it to be interactive and yet safe and completely protected for the pieces on display... to touch and flip a coin but not to be able to take it out of place.

Aren't coins and notes and stuff like snowflakes anyway? No 2 exactly the same. Art.

If I were truly hardcore, I would want the doodle pad and final presentations from the artists who designed every image, butt, that's just crazy.

One of everything does encompass way more than just collectable currency, btw, bottle caps, pins, marbles, trading cards, bottles full and empty etcetera ecetera. Coins was just the gateway drug that doomed me to my nerddom.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 263Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05