Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 1 Oz Gold Kangaroo

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 742Next Topic  
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  10:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gold1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Perth Mint only lists the Maximum dimensions for the 2021 1oz Gold Kangaroo. I contacted Perth, but they will not provide anything more. Does anyone have an authentic coin they can confirm measurements?

Measured:
Weight 1.0001 Troy Oz
Thickness: 2.36mm
Diameter: 32.01mm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41224 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2021  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2021  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gold1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces266693.html shows the same data as the Perth Mint.

Diameter 32.6 mm
Thickness 2.95 mm

This does not match my coin. Hoping that someone else with the same coin can verify
Edited by gold1
07/02/2021 10:31 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41224 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2021  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please post a full coin photo front and back of your coin.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2021  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gold1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a microscope camera, so I can zoom up on anything suspicious

Edited by gold1
07/02/2021 6:06 pm
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6542 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2021  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Perth Mint doesn't make multiple sizes of its one-ounce gold Kangaroo coin; all of the one-ounce Kangaroo coins it produces have the same specifications. The specifications for each have very tight tolerances (gold is expensive!) and the "maximum" specifications you have read about are related to these tolerances. Such variations are measured in the hundredths place, and would not result in the 0.59 mm difference in diameter or 0.59 gram weight difference you have listed.

If the measurements you've listed for your coin are accurate, I would take the coin to a local coin store and find out if they can verify whether it is a real Perth Mint coin vs. a counterfeit. It is physically impossible for a coin to be simultaneously smaller in diameter and thinner and still have one ounce of pure gold. Good counterfeits can match the correct weight by using various alloys that are not pure gold (as the Perth Kangaroo coin should be).

Good luck! Let us know what you find!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gold1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does pass the ping test
It is the right weight
It is not Magnetic.
It appears stamped, not poured
For the volume to be smaller, the density would have to be greater. There are no inexpensive metals with a higher density that would make sense.
I contacted JM Bullion, they simply blew me off and said its within specifications.

The dimension being off is haunting me.

I doubled checked the measurements. With calipers set to 32.6mm, the coin had plenty of play. It simply does not have that diameter
Edited by gold1
07/05/2021 3:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3579 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
where did you buy it from.?
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gold1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1004 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My best guess here is the caliper measurement is off - either you're not measuring the coin the same way they do or your calipers aren't calibrated properly
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2021  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gold1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I measure a US coin, it measures correctly

My next step is to try to get an accurate specific gravity measurement
Edited by gold1
07/06/2021 6:06 pm
Valued Member
Australia
112 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2021  04:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add polarboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know any of the nitty gritty details but it's a very pretty coin.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2021  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gold1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back to the specific gravity measurement:

Okay, got the 0.001g accuracy scale.
Using ~4 degree distilled water, and accounting for the thread weight, the specific gravity is: 19.2706.
SG of gold is 19.300. Error = 0.15%
The gold is 0.9999 pure...

So the SG checks out. I still can't explain the dimensions being off
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1851 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe the Perth Mint information is just wrong? Is there another coin that they made with those dimensions? Possibly they accidentally used dimensions from an existing ad/box.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1108 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hmmm well Australia did have a redesign of Effigy (observer-side) but I would have thought Perth Mint wouldn't want to change size of dies or make changes to their bullion coins, I mean unless they couldn't get capsules of a particular size then it make sense to make the coin the size of the capsules?
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 742Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05