Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Where To Sell Old Coins , Other Than Ebay Site?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,201Next Topic
Page: of 2

Romania
9 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2021  3:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Miha to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all !
100-point question: where can old thalers be sold, I mean on a trusted site (which accepts paypal preferable)? Can anyone recommend some?
I would have some interesting coins that I am thinking of posting for sale!
Thanks a lot !
Pillar of the Community
United States
2373 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take a look at cNGCoins.com.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Romania
9 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2021  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Miha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks , but it looks like they do not accept Paypal !?!?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5225 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2021  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why not sell on eBay?

It has a great exposure and most collectors I know have at least a passing understanding of it. Compared to Heritage or Stack's the fees are low and risks to the seller can be mitigated.

Unless you use an auction format, eBay would also allow you to post a coin there and still try other sites. You can then sell to the most interested party on whatever venue responds first.

Most European sites (where Thalers get most scrutiny) do not accept PayPal.

My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Counterfeit-.../1500497177/ or from me directly if you want it signed.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
686 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  02:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why not sell on eBay?

Because ebay has turned into fee-pay. Plus, its new payment system is a burden for sellers.

I recommend Miha takes a look at delcampe.net
Edited by redlock
07/07/2021 02:12 am
Romania
9 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  05:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Miha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

" Redlock " is 100% right ... ebay has become a pain in the butt (I apologize for this expression) !

Thanks for the advice Redlock ! Is this delcampe.net site safe ? Do you use it ? Do you have any experience on this site? Does it have many users?

Regards,
Valued Member
497 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  05:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are a pain cause they are a monopoly ! They can dictate terms and the average joe has to put up with it.
Forum Dad
United States
21415 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They are a pain cause they are a monopoly! They can dictate terms and the average joe has to put up with it.

Couldn't possibly be further from the truth.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
686 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this delcampe.net site safe?

Yes.

Quote:
Do you use it?

Yes.

Quote:
Do you have any experience on this site?

Not as seller. Only as buyer. But I am a very satisfied user since 2011.

Quote:
Does it have many users?

According to Delcampe (established 20 years ago) they have more than one million active users per month. Obviously, not as much as ebay. But it's a great site for collectors, particularly coin and banknotes.
Edited by redlock
07/07/2021 2:07 pm
Romania
9 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Miha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again !!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5225 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have used Delcamp as recently as yesterday for search purposes. I also use a large number of other on line sites in my search for new coins in my specialty. None of these hold a a candle to the number of customers who post coins on or search eBay daily. A million active users a month is a joke by comparison. Having seen the inner workings of eBay first hand a million active users a day is very little in comparison to eBay. I am not aware of current user status since I left eBay in 2013 but I know it was over 1,000,000 per day back then. Postings to the eBay site (foreign coins only - all outlets) were in excess of 1/4 million a day back in 2013.

I just checked on Google and in 2019 eBay had over 180 million active users (all items) and they had 1.3 BILLION listings. They rank third behind Amazon and Walmart.

The status of eBay as a Monopoly is also incorrect as Bobby said. They are the largest single site for coins (in terms of raw numbers) as far as I know but there are many others. Some like Heritage and Stack's are expensive but they have experts on staff and operate as an auctioneer not a venue. Risks for buyers are lower with an auctioneer than a venue. Risks for buyers are HIGHER because auctioneers have a staff to detect forgeries and altered coins.

Also having been a user of eBay for over 20 years, I can say without any fear of contradiction that the pure number of coins posted on eBay is the largest and widest range available anywhere. Just wait - you will find your missing variety there.

In 1999, I could review every single Mexican coin posted to eBay daily. The daily numbers were about 400 new Mexican coins a day back then. Now it would be impossible for a single person to scan and authenticate every coin listed under Mexico in a 24 hour period in a typical 8 hour workday.

My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Counterfeit-.../1500497177/ or from me directly if you want it signed.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
852 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thread. Never heard of Delcamp before. Just checked it out. Their fees seem about 2/3 of EBays. I wonder if they charge fees on postage like Ebay does? Has anyone eyeballed prices between the 2 sites? Are items cheaper on Delcamp because of the lower fees or are most Delcamp sellers using ebay to guage pricing?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
686 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Their fees seem about 2/3 of EBays. I wonder if they charge fees on postage like Ebay does?

I am not quite sure. But I think they currently don't.

Quote:
Has anyone eyeballed prices between the 2 sites? Are items cheaper on Delcamp because of the lower fees or are most Delcamp sellers using ebay to guage pricing?

I think prices on delcampe are cheaper because of the lower fees not because sellers try to gauge prices on ebay. The sellers I have used in the last two years don't sell on ebay.
If you are happy with ebay as seller or buyer go for it. But I look at delcampe first.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5225 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For informative purposes only.

I looked at Delcampe's listings today but only in my specialty area - Mexican 8 Reales. I looked at auctions that are live.

Next I looked at eBay same parameters. Results follow:

............Delcamp ................. eBay........
Mexican total items ........5,418...........70,509
8 Reales .................... 190........... 2,933

Then I looked at the breakdown of the sites by kinds of 8Rs. I did 190 coins for each site - on eBay last posted first:

............Delcamp ................. eBay........
Cap&Ray First Republic ...... 17 ......... 17
Cap&Ray Second Republic ..... 77 ......... 42
Portrait .................... 79 ......... 94
Pillar ...................... 8 ......... 23
Cob ......................... 0 ......... 19
Improper Entry .............. 9 ......... 6
Counterfeit or Forgery ...... 5 ......... 11
TPG or COA visible .......... 2 ......... 33

The numbers tell the story. In addition I noticed that nearly all of the better coins (for my interests at least) were posted on both sites.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
3381 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2021  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cheapest and no additional fees other than paypal - why not try this forum?
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
686 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Cheapest and no additional fees other than paypal - why not try this forum?

Because the guy who started this thread doesn't have enough quality posts to sell here
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,201Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05