Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V3.0)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 163 / Views: 4,779Next Topic
Page: of 11
Learn More...
United States
20837 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  07:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After about three and a half years, the version two of this thread caught up with the original version and so that first one is now locked.

I'd like to keep the rules largely the same for the latest version of this thread, but there has been a bit of discussion around not moving quite so quickly through the decades so that folks can post additional medieval/dark ages coins. To that end, please see below for the proposed rules for this thread.

1. You must own the coin.
2. You must post a photo of the actual coin you own.
3. Coins need to be dated to a specific year or a minting period of not more than 10 years.
4. The earliest (or only possible) date must start in the active decade.
5. The active decade changes at midnight (CCF time) on Sundays once a coin has been posted with a date falling into the decade.
6. You may post as many of your coins from the decade over the course of the relevant week, but please only one coin per post. Also, consider letting someone else post before posting additional coins.
7. Decades will start on years ending in zeroes rather than ones (in other words, when we are on the decade of the 1590s, the date range is 1590 to 1599 AD).
8. In an effort to be a little more inclusive with this thread, you can post coins which are not datable to a ten year period. However, these coins won't be able to move the thread back a decade. As with the more closely dateable coins posted, please post these other coins in the decade that includes their starting minting period. For example, I plan to post my Xionite Hun Drachm (650-720 AD) during the week that we are posting coins from the 650s but this coin won't serve to push back the thread.

In order to let folks weigh in with potential amendments or other helpful suggestions, my plan is to get us started this Sunday (07/25/21).
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5065 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Great news! I'll especially be looking forward to November when we get to decades that were passed long ago by "Walking Back V.2" and where I think both of us (and probably others) have made some acquisitions in the intervening years.

Only suggestion I would make is that when we get to decades where just one or two players are left, you could consider speeding things up a bit ... Maybe turn over to a new decade if nothing posted for two or three days?
Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
Learn More...
United States
20837 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Only suggestion I would make is that when we get to decades where just one or two players are left, you could consider speeding things up a bit ... Maybe turn over to a new decade if nothing posted for two or three days?

Ok yes good point--no need to drag things out if no one is posting. Maybe I can issue a "last call" warning after no posts for a couple days.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe I can issue a "last call" warning after no posts for a couple days.
Perfect!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2356 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking forward to seeing this new thread start!
Learn More...
United States
20837 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's always fun to start off a new thread like this, so I've tried to chose a special coin.

Here is a 4 Cavalli from the Italian City State of Naples & Sicily. Even with the edge clipping, it is still a hefty 8.4 g.
It is dated 1591 AD and attributed as Ek 344. I'm looking forward to seeing what other coins are posted from the 1590s this week!

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
6005 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A strong start.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5065 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to do my best to stay away from my Poland-Lithuania OFEY for the first century of this thread, but sadly, that's all I've got for the 1590s.
Here is a 1597 Lithuanian trojak (3 groschen).
Obv: Right facing bust of Sigismund III. SIG III D G REX PO MDL (Sigismund III, by the grace of God King of Poland, Grand Duke of Lithuania)
Rev: Crowned Vasa family coat of arms, flanked by Piast eagle left and Lithuanian rider right. Denomination (III) above. Legend in two lines GROS ARG /TRIP MDL (Silver 3 groat of the Grand DUchy of Lithuania)
Iger V.97.2.a and Ivanauskas 5SV51-27.
Obv: Right facing bust of Sigismund III.

Edited by tdziemia
07/25/2021 6:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2558 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I won't have much to offer, far too modern!

Nice start to a fun thread though... I always like Lithuanian coins too and that one is no exception.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5065 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
far too modern

Just give it a couple of years...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2356 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep great start guys!...Nice looking coins!
@Spence.....What's being depicted on the reverse?..Looks like a Cornucopiae?
@tdziemia...Wow that's a long neck ruffle! (Not sure if that's the correct term?

Just an observation but it might be helpful, at least for me, to have a full description of the coins for those who are unfamiliar with certain/many coin types?...Just a thought.

Paul
Valued Member
United Kingdom
85 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1500s are much trickier than the 1600s, but I should be able to contribute to most decades.

I have this silver wire kopek of Boris Godunov, Tsar of Russia. It's dated in the references as 1599 (although not on the coin), so despite appearances it's the newest coin in the list.

It actually carries the name of his predecessor, Feodor I, which is how it comes to be dated so precisely. In the first 8 months of his reign, before he was crowned, the legend on the reverse went unchanged:
'Tsar and Grand Prince Feodor of All Rus'.

Mint Pskov. Mintmark PSRZ (off flan). 9-12mm, 0.68g. Horseman with spear (KG 161).
Edited by JohnConduitt
07/25/2021 9:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5065 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it might be helpful ... to have a full description

Done, and good idea.

@JohnC, that's a neat example of an undated coin taht can be narrowly dated by other means! We will see a lot of those here.
Learn More...
United States
20837 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@Spence.....What's being depicted on the reverse?..Looks like a Cornucopiae?

Yes exactly, a cornucopia. There is a similar coin here, but maybe a differnt denomination: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces123498.html

The obv inscription is PHILIPP DG REX ARA VTR SIC while the rev inscription is PVBLICE COMMODITATI.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2558 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Silver sixpence dated 1587 Elizabeth I, these tend to have very worn portraits.
Page: of 11 Previous TopicReplies: 163 / Views: 4,779Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05