Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

No Numeric Grade On An NGC Holder (And Not A Details-Graded Coin)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 303Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  2:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I saw this coin slabbed by NGC appear in a dealer's inventory, and was curious about it as it has no numeric grade. I verified the cert number on the NGC site and it checks out, as shown. I don't recall ever seeing an NGC slab without the numeric grade, other than with a details holder. Does anyone know the reason no numeric grade would be assigned? Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11657 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobertRansom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am interested in the responses to this thread.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Its called an Adjectival Grade

Thanks, JimmyD, I learned something new today! I'd searched on the NGC site for "non-numerical grade", and all I'd come up with was the details grade descriptions. I guess an adjectival grade is not requested very often; even the dealer listing noted it as an "unusual" holder (and they were asking well-over the NGC price guide value ).

And now that I've thought about it a bit, I guess I have seen this used before on modern coins like the State Quarter and some modern commemoratives where they were graded simply as Uncirculated. But never on any older coins like this, however...
Edited by hokiefan_82
07/27/2021 2:51 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60822 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Allnew to me as well, thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2515 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see these on 2009 cents on hibid every now and then. They are almost always basement slabbers and are labeled as mint state while they are high au coins.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting discussion. I learned something.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 303Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05