Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Identifying Ancient Indian Coins - So Confused - Please Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 275Next Topic  

Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  02:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pjmat2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have these two ancient Indian coins I'd really like to identify.

There is some family history to it, my grandfather being the collector knew each and every coin and as fastidious as he was, he never labelled, never recorded.

I spent ages looking into it years ago, but never really nailed an exact match.

The round coin weighs 10.2 grams, 20 mm in diameter. Some sort of Mohua of the Moghal era.

The square coin weighs 11.8 grams, 19 mm and same era I think.

If there is a genius out there that can shed light on this, please share your thoughts.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5980 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not my area, but the left one reminds me of:
https://www.icollector.com/Akbar-To...ur_i27078456
Pillar of the Community
United States
5980 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've spotted gold coins of Shah Jahan similar to the round one, but nothing spot on. Hopefully Seeker or Kushanshah chimes in.
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This will require someone who can read the inscriptons on the coins, which is beyond my abilities. I searched Zeno for similar coins and here's what I found.

The square coin is a "heavy mohur" based on its weight. There are significant similarities to this heavy mohur of Akbar

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=155894

but it is not a match (some of the writing differs). In the lower right corner of the first photo there's a possible date of AH 1170 (other interpretations of the date are possible). If it is 1170 this date would lie during the reign of Alamgir II, but I didn't see any similar mohurs from his time in Krause or Zeno. If I had to guess I'd guess it is a heavy mohur of Akbar, but that potential attribution is neither detailed enough nor backed up by adequate documentation. The second photo of the square one is upside down and should be corrected to help with attribution.

For the round one here's a coin that matches reasonably on one side but not the other (however this could well be a standard inscription used on many coins).

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=40376

The pattern of the enclosure on both sides is called a mihrabi border, mimicing the shape of niches in mosques.

Hopefully someone who can actually read the coins will come along to help. I just try to read dates, search by weight and diameter, and match by appearance when possible, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

If you don't get satisfactory attributions here my best advice is that you could try posting these on the World of Coins Mughal board, where there are more experts in Indian coins, several of whom can actually read them and I go to for help.

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/in...rd,62.0.html

These are wonderful coins and I wish you the best of luck.
Edited by Seeker55
07/28/2021 10:39 am
Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pjmat2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone, thank you so much for the information and leads.

I shall follow up at world of coins forum, thank you again Seeker.

I'll let you know what I find out.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 275Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05