Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 Date Doubling DDO

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 358Next Topic  

Canada
46 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  1:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nickel picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would like a hand verifying the variety on this beauty please. The double 1 and 8 are clear, but theres an anomaly under the top loop of the 9.... is it a 9 variety? New variety? Or just a chip perhaps...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3838 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For 1859, the Brit Mint took 1858 hubs and ground down the last 8 even with the fields. They then struck 200 or so partially finished 1859 dies with only "185". The 9 was handpunched into every one of the 200 or so reverse dies. To make a complete impression in/on the die to be able to strike coins, it took 2-5 whacks with the hammer and punch, sometimes hours, days or weeks apart for the whacks. After every whack, the punch had to be hardened and the die had to be heated and softened. Because of that, you can have 200 different "repunches" or DDR's on the 1859's. Some can be tripled or quad-punched and sometimes the offsets are substantial. Yours is minor at best and certainly is not a variety that any collector is looking for (except the 1). The 9 is considered normal.
Canada
46 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickel picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see, thanks Okiecoiner.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1575 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Your coin looks to be OBV 29(die crack in A of Canada) and poss REV 4a(by leaf 9) but can not see the rev clearly please go here to check
The Vicky 59 site
https://www.vickycents.com/rev-f4a.html
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Canada
46 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickel picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes thanks fourmack, I keep forgetting about the vicky cents site. gidjit has shown me quite a few times about it, so informative and interactive, I'm just a slow grasshopper at learning.
Edited by Nickel picker
07/28/2021 9:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
919 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with fourmack. Nice work Don! That was a tough attribution, but it looks right.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 358Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05