Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Modern: 2014 Baseball Hall Of Fame Cousins - Part I

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 385Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6560 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  09:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Back in 2014, when the collector market was in a frenzy over the US Mint's Baseball Hall of Fame 75th Anniversary coins, I came across an interesting set of three commemorative medals (they were incorrectly called "coins") that were licensed by the National Baseball Hall of Fame as official 75th Anniversary commemorative pieces and were sold embedded in attractive and informative folders.

Each of the three medals celebrated a 25-year span of the Hall's history:

- Volume 1: The Beginning - 1939-1964
- Volume 2: Evolution of the Hall - 1964-1989
- Volume 3: The Hall Enters the 21st Century - 1989-2014

A fourth volume was added once the half-dollar coin struck by the US Mint became available:

- Volume 4: An Unbreakable Bond - American History and the National Pastime

US Mint 2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame Coin Designs - Common to All Denominations

(Image Credit: Image courtesy of US Mint, http://www.usmint.gov.)

I'll let the content included on the folder's panels (below) provide the background and history on the Baseball HoF, here I'll focus on the sets/folders themselves.

The original price for each of the medal sets was a reasonable $24.95; in later years the price of each set was reduced in an effort to generate sales/reduce inventory. I saw prices reduced to $19.95 for a stretch and then further reduced to as low as $4.95 each! (It's quite clear that supply exceeded demand on these medals.) Volume 4 with the half dollar retailed for $49.95 (basically double the price of the medal sets). Once the half dollar was available, a four-volume combination package was available for $119.95 - a $20 savings over purchasing each set individually. That is the option I went with when I purchased my sets.

It's unfortunate that the four packages/sets were not more popular with collectors. The three bronze medals are, IMO, well designed and executed, and the custom packaging is colorful and full of interesting information about the Hall of Fame, its inductees and general history. As a life-long baseball fan, I enjoy reading through the included content. IMO, the medals are great supplemental "cousins" of the Mint's 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame coins.

The sets were produced by Coins of America, which is a well-known marketer of numismatic collectibles. I know that some look down at them and their products as overpriced "giftware," but they do often create quality, custom packaging that is attractive and appealing. The special edition folders produced by the US Mint for some commemorative coins (e.g., the various Young Collector Sets) have absolutely nothing on these Coins of America Baseball Hall of Fame packages. I don't believe Coins of America targets hardcore coin collectors with its products, but rather those with nothing more than a casual interest in coins and their connection to history. In that context, I think they do well.

The sets don't make that many appearances on eBay or other online platform, I personally have never encountered one at a coin show. I surmise from this that overall sales were likely fairly low. I would suggest their lack of popularity with collectors was, at least in part, due to lackluster promotional efforts. Considering the hype that surrounded the coins, these medal sets were vastly under-marketed. I encountered them while perusing the coin-related items available via the web site of the Hall of Fame itself back in 2014. Had I not seen them there, I'm not sure I would have ever known of their existence.

Here are images of the panels in Volume 1 of the set, The Beginning: 1939-1964.:

COA Set - Volume 1: The Beginning: 1939-1964 - Front Cover

COA Set - Volume 1: The Beginning: 1939-1964 - Inside Front Cover

COA Set - Volume 1: The Beginning: 1939-1964 - Inside Center Panel

COA Set - Volume 1: The Beginning: 1939-1964 - Inside Right Panel Flap - Back

COA Set - Volume 1: The Beginning: 1939-1964 - Inside Right Panel Flap - Front

COA Set - Volume 1: The Beginning: 1939-1964 - Inside Medal Panel - Front

The obverse of the medal presents the National Baseball Hall of Fame logo.

COA Set - Volume 1: The Beginning: 1939-1964 - Inside Medal Panel - Back

The reverse of the medal depicts the original National Baseball Hall of Fame building in Cooperstown, NY circa 1939.

COA Set - Volume 1: The Beginning: 1939-1964 - Back Cover

COA Set - Volume 1: The Beginning: 1939-1964 - Certificate of Authenticity

COA Set - Volume 1: The Beginning: 1939-1964 - Promotional Sheet

COA Set - Volume 1: The Beginning: 1939-1964 - Front Cover of "The Beginning" Poster

I'll post images of the other volumes in the set separately.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
08/01/2021 09:55 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6380 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the gold example, difficult to capture in photography for me.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61587 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice presentation, thanks you!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice read!
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just have the silver proof version. Thanks for the pics and info. You always do a great job with your posts. In 2017 I took the grandsons to Omaha during the College World Series. The Baseball Hall of Fame traveling museum was there and it was fun to go through.
Edited by livingwater
08/01/2021 4:03 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11319 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the closeups of the gold commemorative, muddler. There was a lot going on in 2014 and that one wasn't in my budget. Got the proof and uncirculated silvers tho.

Nice writeup as usual, commems.
Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting!

These are new to me. I have to admit, even that one medal example shows looks more impressive to me than the Mint offerings.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6560 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I meant to include this above:

An intro blurb about Volume 1 from the now-defunct web site for the series:

"The package details the story of how the Hall of Fame was established in Cooperstown, and features stunning images of rare artifacts related to the great baseball moments of the era, including the first Induction Ceremony [which featured the induction of legendary players like Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth], Jackie Robinson's breaking of the color-barrier, Bobby Thomson's "Shot Heard Round the World", and much more! There's also an 11 x 17 inch fold-out poster featuring a collage of artifacts from the Museum's opening on June 12, 1939."

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 385Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05