Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Modern: 2014 Baseball Hall Of Fame Cousins - Part IV

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 219Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6421 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  07:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The final volume, Volume 4, of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum commemorative series was the only volume to feature an actual coin (though the attractive medals in the previous volumes were consistently referred to as coins) - it includes a US Mint-struck 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame CuNi half dollar. The volume is titled "An Unbreakable Bond: American History and the National Pastime."

The series web site included the following pre-release discussion about Volume 4:

"Complete your Baseball Hall of Fame 75th Anniversary coin collection with the official commemorative coin series from the US Mint. The National Baseball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coin Act, which was signed into law by President Barack Obama in late 2012, directs the US Mint to produce three coins commemorating the Hall's 75th anniversary - $5 gold, $1 silver and half-dollar clad coins. The coins will be truly unique in that they will be the first curved coins minted and issued by the US Mint. This first-of-its-kind design will depict a baseball graphic on the reverse (convex) side of each coin, with the obverse (concave) side featuring a theme that is emblematic of the game of baseball. The design for the obverse side will be determined through a national competition, with the final design selected by a special committee of Hall of Famers - Joe Morgan, Brooks Robinson, Ozzie Smith, Don Sutton and Dave Winfield. Look for the announcement of the winning design in the summer of 2013, with the official release date of the coins slated for early 2014."

Later, on the Coins of America web site, the following was posted:

"This commemorative collection is the last in the series and highlights the history of baseball and its role in American history. The coin package details special moments in Hall of Fame history with interesting facts and stunning images.

This U.S Mint commemorative half dollar coin featured in this collection is truly unique in that it is the first curved coin minted and issued by the US Mint. This first-of-its-kind design depicts a baseball graphic on the reverse (convex) side of each coin, with the obverse (concave) side featuring a theme that is emblematic of the game of baseball.

The Hall of Fame Museum in Cooperstown is brought to life in this coin series—a must-have for collectors and baseball enthusiasts."

Note how the description does not specify the baseball glove image as the obverse design element even though it was obviously known by the time Volume 4 began production - it still uses the "emblematic of the game of baseball" phrase - generic language included in the authorizing legislation. This suggests to me that Coins of America got a bit lazy in terms of their promotion for the sets and didn't take the time to make a simple update to their website to make it more accurate. Let it ride!

I recall standing on line for hours at the Baltimore Whitman Expo in 2014 waiting for my turn to purchase the Baseball Hall of Fame coins at the US Mint booth. As I waited - along with many other collectors - I used my smartphone to join the queue on the US Mint web site and was able to order the uncirculated examples of the gold, silver and CuNi coins I wanted - IIRC, I ordered two of each. It was a good thing I did, as by the time I got to the front of the line, the only coins left were proof silver dollars - there was a limit of five. So, I purchased my five proof silver dollars and went on my way - I recall selling a few of them at my local coin club to fellow members for the same price I paid - no added charge for my wait time!.

Volume 4 of the series did not include an era-specific poster like its predecessors; the poster was replaced by a ticket for free admission into the Hall of Fame. The volume also included a US Mint Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for the coin; the COA is the standard issue version as was included in individual packages of the coin sold by the Mint at the time.

Here are images of the panels of Volume 4, An Unbreakable Bond: American History and the National Pastime:

COA Set - Volume 4: An Unbreakable Bond- Front Cover

COA Set - Volume 4: An Unbreakable Bond- Inside Front Cover

COA Set - Volume 4: An Unbreakable Bond- Inside Center Panel

COA Set - Volume 4: An Unbreakable Bond- Inside Right Panel Flap - Back

COA Set - Volume 4: An Unbreakable Bond- Inside Right Panel Flap - Front

COA Set - Volume 4: An Unbreakable Bond- Inside Coin Panel - Front

COA Set - Volume 4: An Unbreakable Bond- Inside Coinl Panel - Back

COA Set - Volume 4: An Unbreakable Bond- Back Cover

COA Set - Volume 4: An Unbreakable Bond - Certificate of Authenticity

COA Set - Volume 4: An Unbreakable Bond- US Mint Certificate of Authenticity - Outer Panels

COA Set - Volume 4: An Unbreakable Bond- US Mint Certificate of Authenticity - Inner Panels

COA Set - Volume 4: An Unbreakable Bond- Promotional Sheet

COA Set - Volume 4: An Unbreakable Bond- Free Admission Ticket - Front

COA Set - Volume 4: An Unbreakable Bond- Free Admission Ticket - Back

If you'd like to have a look at the previous posts on the series:

- 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame Cousins - Part I
- 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame Cousins - Part II
- 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame Cousins - Part III

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Commems for the series on baseball.
Learn More...
United States
103894 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

Even though I like the previous medals more, I have a new appreciation for the half dollar from it being in this four part set.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11269 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A great addition. Look how young W looks!
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 219Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05