Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sequential 1973 $1 Bills?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 635Next Topic  

Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  7:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sirkit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a set of 50 and 15 $1 Canadian 1973 bills that are uncirculated (see a picture for example) and sequential.

I've looked at a price chart and the going price for a $1 bill is in the $50 range if they are "GEM Uncirculated" which I believe these would qualify as. They were purchased from the bank and placed in storage immediately, for the purposes of collection, they show no folds, bent corners, or signs of wear.

Assuming they are Gem level (and please do look at the photo to verify) does the sequential nature of the collection change the price at all? I don't believe any of the serial numbers are special (no repeaters or low numbers ect.).

Edited by sirkit
08/06/2021 7:48 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
63008 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think the sequential numbers would affect the value.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6133 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know about the sequential numbers adding value but the birthday serial numbers might add value to somebody born on (or around) August 21, 1963.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12629 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sequential numbers on modern bills do not add any value.
There are just too many of them out there.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8628 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...the going price for a $1 bill is in the $50 range if they are "GEM Uncirculated"...
I hate to burst your bubble but that is absolutely false, its more like the $2-$3 range, if you can find a buyer.
I bought 10 uncirculated consecutive $1 at a flea market last Saturday for $20 plus tax, and I feel I overpaid.
The note in your pic is only EF grade, due to the stain, and has a catalogue value of $1.15.
It is a birthday note however and may be of interest to someone born Aug 21 1963.
Sequential numbers on modern notes do not add any value but they do make them saleable.
65 uncirculated 1973 notes with random serial numbers are worth $65.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42043 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  05:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and to CCF.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Canada
444 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked hard for the stain and then I saw it. On the bottom right corner. Hopefully not all of the notes have it.

Gem UNC is a very hard grade to get. Not only does not the note have to be uncirculated condition. The printing on the note has to be perfect.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1498 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!

- I agree with most of the comments here. Nothing special about consecutive numbered notes. Not sure why so many people think they're more collectible that way (when that's how they were issued). 1.8 Billion issued with Lawson-Bouey signature & 890,000,000 with the Crow-Bouey signature but these later notes were hoarded extensively. Bundles are on sale on a regular bases but I have no idea why anyone would buy one. The market has been so saturated with the 1973 $1 that I have even seen dealers selling replacements for reduced prices.

And as someone commented there may be someone interested in the serial number posted since there are a few out there who look for birthday notes (but its a 1 in a million chance to find the right buyer).
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirkit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"I hate to burst your bubble but that is absolutely false, its more like the $2-$3 range, if you can find a buyer.
I bought 10 uncirculated consecutive $1 at a flea market last Saturday for $20 plus tax, and I feel I overpaid.
The note in your pic is only EF grade, due to the stain, and has a catalogue value of $1.15.
It is a birthday note however and may be of interest to someone born Aug 21 1963.
Sequential numbers on modern notes do not add any value but they do make them saleable.
65 uncirculated 1973 notes with random serial numbers are worth $65."
*** Edited by Staff to add Quote tags. [quote][/quote] Please use them in the future. ***

It's not a bubble, I was basing the value from the information on this website: https://www.coinsandcanada.com/bank...earch=Search

As to the rest of the bills they don't have a stain, honestly I didn't even notice that one. What would define "GEM" quality? Based on the definition provided by "coinscanada" the other bills would be uncirculated at least. I don't know how you're defining "Very Fine" but they define it as:

"VF (Very Fine)
- Without alteration.
- Broken fibers by a honest fold in the center, but intact elsewhere.
- A major fold in the center. Can also show up two or three counting marks.
- Bright colors and details present.

Except for the minor stain this would not make sense as a designation for this bill. It's never been circulated, has a minor stain (which the others don't have at all), no fold at all, no counting marks, and hasn't seen the light of day except for to take that photo.

I'm not a collector but your grading here seems inconsistent with other sources.
Edited by sirkit
08/07/2021 7:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3618 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i just bought 72 choice un circulated bills today, and I paid 1.50 a note, all in sequence, and I am only asking 4$ a note. at will probably end up selling for around 3-3.50$ each,.. so take coins and canada prices with the proverbial grain of salt.. If you want to see true values, just check eBay, under sold prices, not asking prices..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1498 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  09:45 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
..What would define "GEM" quality? Based on the definition provided by "coinscanada" the other bills would be uncirculated at least. ..

What I find many Canadian collectors neglect to consider when it comes to GEM is that the note's design must be perfectly centred. This is on both sides (one side slightly off & that's considered a deduction of at least one point). I've seen countless off-centred notes being described as GEM.

So while it is impossible to determine the grade of your $1 from the photos, I do believe that "DBM" detected some handling (ie circulation) and a spot/fold on the bottom right corner. Graders take a note & put it up on a light box to determine the tiniest flaws. They search for embossing, thickness of paper & other indicators to determine if it is near perfect or less. Take a look at this site for grades:
http://oldcurrencyvalues.com/gradiNGCurrency/ or from PMG:
https://www.pmgnotes.com/paper-mone...ading-scale/

[Many notes are improperly stored & certifiers can see this immediately]

Forget "Coinscanada" for accurate info on many things (I do). Nice reference site but as "silverwolf" puts it, you must be a bit skeptical on the unrealistic estimates/price charts for a lot of the generalized BV (book values). And it is possible you saw the price chart of a replacement (which has either an * in front of the serial number or an X as the last letter of the prefix). Of the billions of $1 printed, replacements make up a tiny fraction.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4873 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When there was shows with kid"s tables, I have seen collectors donate $2 or $1 bills for give aways cool to see a youngster see a 1 or 2 dollar bill
Learn More...
United States
106647 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18722 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 635Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: