Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Could This Be? I Am At A Loss As To What Exactly This Is

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 839Next Topic
Page: of 2

New Zealand
46 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  04:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Chedee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there &

I am very new to this coin hysteria#129303;#128591; as the unfortunate passing of my poppy saw me feeling like the opening credits of a childhood cartoon, Scrooge McDuck, diving into his vault filled with coins. I find myself at a loss as to say with any certainty what exactly I have. Would anyone be able to please help? #128591;Tia#9786;#65039;

Please note- bring the ditz I am, I have saved the file INCORRECTLY it IS 1862 Cheers
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3535 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New Zealand
46 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  05:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chedee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Keith! It is the size of the pennies
New Zealand
46 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  05:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chedee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When searching the coin, there are three variants(I don't know the lingo, sorry), two of which I am unable to find a picture to compare
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
680 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is GB penny size (around 30mm diameter), then it is a penny!
There are many more than just 3 variants for this date, but in that condition we are unlikely to be able to say for sure, which it is. We would need pics of the other side too.
New Zealand
46 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2021  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chedee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks PaddyB!

I will try my best in uploading that picture for you as soon as I am able#128076; many thanks
New Zealand
46 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2021  05:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chedee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
Australia
13843 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2021  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, it's a very, very worn British penny. British coins of the Victorian era are very often found in this super-worn state over here in Australia and New Zealand. Shipping coinage to the far side of the world for the colonists to use was expensive, so they didn't do it until absolutely necessary. Coins - especially coppers - were allowed to become worn flat before being withdrawn. Back in Britain, the banks would have withdrawn such coins and returned them to the Mint for scrapping, long before they reached this state.

Note: if you find a halfpenny that's totally worn flat on one side but still looks pretty good on the other, it was probably used in the old pub game known as shove'ha'penny.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
680 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  03:18 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is an 1862 penny, but little more can be said. Sadly in that condition, it would go into my scrap metal pot along with the other 40Kg of similar pennies and halfpennies!

New Zealand
46 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chedee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap & PaddyB, thankyou kindly!! So scrap it, you reckon?
Learn More...
Australia
13843 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Scrap metal" might be a little harsh in the Antipodes. It's identifiable (the date is still clearly readable), but has some severe scratches, besides the extreme wear. A coin dealer in Australia or NZ might try to get a dollar or so for it, but probably not too much more than that. Or give it away - some kid might be thrilled at owning a 150+ year old coin.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
New Zealand
46 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chedee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sap
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3012 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No they wouldn't Sap. Coins in that condition would be good for melting only or given to a child collector for free.

As a fellow NZer I have no idea who "Chedee" is and do not know them. My guess is looking at their coins and photography skills, they are a child or a beginner - so we need to treat them accordingly, be helpful but if they do like 50 threads all showing worn or common coins we need to remind them of rules.

Chedee, you need to take sharper photos and clip them accordingly so you see only the coin and no background.

Also if you have a lot of coins, try and at least identify what they are like "1862 Penny or Halfpenny" or "1963 NZ Sixpence", rather than the thread titles like "What is this" and "I can't believe it".

When lockdown ends, I suggest you go to the Libraray and get out a coin catalogue. Failing that, you can buy a 2021 Bertrand NZ coin, banknote and token catalogue for just $17.95 postpaid on Trade me. Seller is acw.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3244 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  03:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin might be old and worn, but I would keep it, at least until I found a better one.

This is my current 1862 penny.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
United Kingdom
217 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think worn coins are very interesting. They have a story to them. That 1862 penny would have bought penny chews for countless children, been used as part of payment for grocery shopping, paid milkmen and paperboys, used at fairground stalls. It's got a story, and although it might have much numismatic value I think the history alone should be enough to avoid the melting pot.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3012 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no problem with worn coins - it was just this person gives their threads silly names and seems to lead us on that they have better coins than they are.

I don't even think I have an 1862 penny - but all my 1860s pennies except 1 look like that, another from 1866 has been octagonised!

Decent Halfpenny and Farthing faces of 1862 for anyone who wants to know what an unworn Britannia coin of 1862 looks like.

These bronze coins had a lower shelf for the date and hence why the date survives longer that the rest of the design.

It's VG to VG+ but some one has ocatgonised it!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
08/19/2021 11:59 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 839Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05