Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Brown Ike's Gold Seal Vs Silver Seal

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 454Next Topic  

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  8:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've seen brown Ike boxes that have a gold seal and some have a silver seal. Why is that ? What's the history behind it? Does anyone know, all I've seen is that the brown Ike boxes have a gold seal in them but I've seen some on eBay have silver seal instead of gold. First image is gold seal and the second is the silver seal in the brown Ike proof box.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
41227 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  04:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Maybe the white balance is out of adjustment on their camera?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1986 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  04:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what I'm looking at. Is that a coin? When you say Ike are you talking about an Eisenhower dollar AKA an Ike?
Edited by jasper62
08/18/2021 05:03 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41227 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is the embossed seal on the box it self.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it's the embossed seal on the back a brown proof Ike box I realize that.

I've seen Ike boxes that have a gold seal and some have silver seal why is that ? I'm looking for any information on that.
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They have always been gold, at least all four I have are gold.

As suggested above, the differences in the photo above is white balance. Just compare how dark the brown is in the first photo compared to the second.

If you actually have two different ones in hand, photograph them together so we can see the difference. Perhaps the gold has faded?
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm this pic you'll see gold, silver, silver

I really dislike how to upload images so hopefully this pic u can see all three seals I hope.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The two silver boxes are 1971 S
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting! I do not believe I have ever seen silver before. I am not sure if it is just simple fading as it looks to be original silver. Hopefully someone else will know more about these.

What date is the gold one?

I may have to pull my boxes out of storage now. Perhaps my memory is not as good as I think it is. The Ikes are in my Dansco and have been since the 1990s, but I kept all my brown boxes and blue envelopes.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the gold seal ikes are from 1971-1974. The date that was in the gold seal box was also 1971s just like the two silver seal boxes.

Almost kinda regardless of the coins and date what the silver seal means and history is what I want to know. But at the same time maybe the date of the coin has something to do with it so the coin matters as well.
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was beginning to think that the 1971 were silver, while the 1972, 1973, and 1974 are gold. However, if you say you have 1971 in both, that would not be correct.

I could be that the earlier releases were silver and then they changed to gold. I do not think there is any other real significance to the difference though.

Regardless, a new Ike mystery intrigues me!
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Viper1357 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly long term exposure to uv or fluorescent lighting have faded some of these decal/seals over the decades?
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't been able to find any info on a brown Ike box having a silver seal.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eh I feel it would be pretty inconsistent you'd still be able to see some of the gold seal. Clearly in the pic there's a silver and a gold next to each other only ever seen two silver seals.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 454Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05