Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1921 Peace VAM H1: Proof Or Business Strike Grade?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 499Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2021  9:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jaberwoke to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I hope someone here has the knowledge to answer this question as it's probably a tough one. Opinions are also welcome.

From my research, it seems all "proof" 1921 Peace dollars came from the VAM H1 die set. I've looked at nearly every "proof" graded and "MS" graded V-1H examples available on the Heritage and Sacks & Bower websites as well as PCGS and NGC graded PR and MS coins.

My question is:

What differentiates the "Proof" grade from the "business" grade "MS" strikes?
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2021  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaberwoke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just as a side note, the one and only "Matte" PCGS graded PR64... on sale at eBay for $288,000,,, is a VAM 1H if you examine the Coinfacts photos.

How did the die change from Matte to Satin and then to a business strike?

Anyone? Anyone?

Buhler? Buhler?
Edited by jaberwoke
08/26/2021 10:06 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42796 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  05:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a note: proof is not a grade, it is a process of minting a coin. Special dies as well as special planchets and additional tonnage is used.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2021  10:36 am  Show Profile   Check collectinsince65's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add collectinsince65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent questions. As John said proof is not a condition but rather a striking process. Attached is a link to VAM world. And all known 1921 Peace dollar varieties struck from dies which were originally used to strike proof 1921 Peace dollars. As John said pressure/tonnage used is the difference in a proof quality and business quality. And the die preparation before striking is the reason for the difference between a Matte finish and a Satin finish.
Here's the link

http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...of_Varieties
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 499Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: