Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1936 Rhode Island Tercentenary - School Of Design

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 786Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7554 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  10:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The 1936 Providenc-Rhode Island Tercentenary half dollar was co-designed by Newport, RI artists John Benson and Arthur Carey. Each attended the Rhode Island School of Design ("School"). At the time the coin was released, Benson was an instructor of lettering at the School while Carey was working as a professional designer and silversmith.

In the Official Chronicle and Tribute Book of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. two pages are devoted to the School. The Tribute Book was published to provide "an account of Rhode Island in the past and the present."

Due to its connection with the coin designers, I thought the brief, contemporary glimpse into the School that was included in the book might be of interest to some collectors of the classic series. So...

1936-D Rhode Island Tercentenary Half Dollar

For more on the Rhode Island half dollar, see: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
09/04/2021 6:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2718 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Rhode Island School of Design also had a strong influence just across the state line with Robbins Company and Medallic Art and others in Attleboro, Massachusetts.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems, thanks again for sharing. Dos Equis beer ran a popular radio ad for many years talking about "The most interesting man in the world". I find your writings make YOU the most interesting man in the world!

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
09/05/2021 12:15 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
717 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  02:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, commems, another interesting read!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7554 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  06:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Rhode Island School of Design also had a strong influence just across the state line with Robbins Company and Medallic Art and others in Attleboro, Massachusetts.

@fortcollins: I'd enjoy learning more!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7554 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hokiefan_82: Thank you very much for your continued support!

@winesteven: Thank you! You are far too kind.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7742 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting connections commems, thank you for sharing.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
112450 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1587 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for this interesting information. I just happen to obtain one in trade from a fellow collector in England and it arrived today.

CCF member Member Since: 07/27/2008
Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7554 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nicklsearcher/jbucK: Thanks for the positive comments!

@kenwright396: You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it!

@kena: Thanks for sharing your latest acquisition. The coin's surfaces appear quite grainy - is this appearance an image artifact or accurate?

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1587 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about the delay in responding, I got the coin in trade from a collector in the UK.

He suspected it had been cleaned at some point in time and here is their photo of the coin.

That is probably why the surface appears to be grainy in photos.

I have not been able to take a better photo of the coin.

Comments?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7554 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kena: If your images are accurate, I would say that it is highly likely that the coin was cleaned in the past.

It's "flat" appearance is what is often seen from a coin that had been extensively dipped in an acidic solution to remove toning or other surface discolorations. The dipping solution, with prolonged use, can etch or pit the surface of a coin and take all of its natural luster away. Such appears to be the case with your coin - sorry!

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1587 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing at all to be sorry about, I was aware that the coin had been cleaned at some point in time. I wanted one of these since I was born in Rhode Island.

Based on what you can tell from the photos, could you give a guesstimate of what you feel the coin is worth?

Coin is part of an going trades with a fellow UK collector who we supply each other with both US and UK coins.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7554 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kena: Considering a very nice mint state example of the Rhode Island half dollar can be purchased for less than $150 USD, I would not value a "Details" example at any more than $60 to $70 USD.

The coin has nice remaining design detail, but its "cleaned" surfaces significantly impact its market value.

Just my opinion, of course, others might have different views.

Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 786Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: