Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Of A 1775 Halfpenny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 254Next Topic  

United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  3:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dazza to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Can anyone give me information on this coin please and advise on value if any

Many thanks Darren
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your reply was split into its own topic for the proper attention.

Reference Topic: http://goccf.com/t/380741

Previous Topic: http://goccf.com/t/406999
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
681 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say this is correctly a "Counterfeit copy" rather than an "Evasion" as the design is basically correct for a genuine halfpenny of that date, just made unofficially and light weight.
Value is always a guessing game for these. There are a large number of contemporary counterfeits out there - they say at the time of the new issue in 1797/1799 there were more counterfeits in circulation than genuine ones. The OP is nice being double-struck, but the design is fairly standard. Best place to sell such things is in the US, where the interest is much higher than in the UK. I would guess at 10 to 20 on Ebay, but may go much better if 2 or more collectors take a fancy to it.
Edited by PaddyB
09/08/2021 02:00 am
Valued Member
Canada
146 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen similar double-struck counterfeits easily go north of $100 USD to American buyers on Ebay. Here is such a listing that is going on right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384360783952

Yours is a little more dinged-up, but has good details and would still attract strong interest in my opinion. A nice example in any case!
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 254Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05