Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1921 Peace Dollar. MS? Details?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 498Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4416 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  4:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you guys think of this one? Seller photos.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8364 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Typical weak obverse strike. Looks like the obverse field luster is broken and remains only hugging the rims. It could be lighting but going with what I see. AU53 due to what look like rubbed fields. Reverse looks MS. Reverse fields look wiped, but not sure if it would details the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU Details, cleaned. Though a TPG may call it UNC Details. I think they throw out the UNC Details too freely. Take a very lightly circulated coin and call it AU58, but intentional "wear" (cleaning) removes the same amount if not more luster and original skin and call it UNC details. A coin should be graded in the current state, not what it might have looked like before cleaning. Rant over

AU Details final answer!
Edited by Ty2020b
09/09/2021 6:39 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62696 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last pic appears to show some cleaning swirls, so I'll say AU details as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A tough call between MS and AU. I'll go with AU details cleaned.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10851 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details. still a nice coin and the first two photos would not normally lead to details designation so it goes to show you how photos can be deceiving
Pillar of the Community
United States
4416 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah my thoughts were it is fairly clearly MS but the reverse was likely wiped with a light cloth. Seller wants about $350.
Edited by fenton
09/10/2021 10:24 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1714 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU Details Cleaned. Must have cost a pretty penny even in this condition.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22900 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55 details, cleaned
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details
Pillar of the Community
United States
3244 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin has been cleaned and weak strike. Pass
Pillar of the Community
United States
1714 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by NumisEd
09/14/2021 12:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4416 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I took a pass on it. I'm annoyed that I sold an MS-64 example, PCGS, for $600 back in 2013. Seemed like a good price at the time now it costs a fortune in that grade. So I'm trying to find a clean example that is unslabbed at a better price point. Not having much luck yet.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62696 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree this is overpriced.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 498Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: