Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin ID Query: Shunga Empire?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 164Next Topic  
Valued Member
New Zealand
79 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  01:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pdg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this tiny coin with a bunch of Indian princely state coins so my first assumption, because of the elephant, was that it was from Mysore.
However, I couldn't find a match for the other side, which I took to be an abstract design (apparently it is three hills topped by a crescent).
Coinoscope eventually led me to a close match, a 1/4 karshapana from the Shunga Empire, 185-73BC.
However, one thing doesn't match - the Shunga Empire coins I found online have a king riding the elephant, whereas the elephant on this coin is riderless.
It looks to be copper with a diameter of 11-12mm.
Any ID tips appreciated.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18972 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  01:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done for hitting on the Shunga empire.
One of my most useful visual research id tools is Google Images.
In this case "Coins of the Shunga Empire" uncovers some elephants that are riderless. This coin found on Numista as a 1/4 Karshapana of 2.6 grams.
Valued Member
New Zealand
79 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pdg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks sel_69I - good tip, that also led me to the Numista entry. Cool to find a coin from an empire I'd never heard of before...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2344 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin....
I did have both types but @echizento bought them from me a while back and I don't know if he still has them?
Here's a link to a thread I ran on them which you might find interesting?
http://goccf.com/t/271624

Paul.
Valued Member
New Zealand
79 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pdg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Paul! That's really interesting. Also confirms they come with and without rider. Your elephant looks a bit emaciated lol.
Did you ever find a square one?
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 164Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05