Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Could Anyone Give Me Idea What These Coins Might Be.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 480Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  8:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Davemnman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have about 12 of these coins. Found in a box of stuff from parents. They are all damaged heavily. hard to make out what they say but using pieces from all 12. seems to say Georgivs V and one has a VI on it Dei Gra Rex ET Ind : Im? They have the same face and saying on Both sides. and also have a hole in the middle of coin. seems to be something from Canada. anyone got a idea. I hope the pic uploaded ok.
Edited by Davemnman
09/14/2021 11:21 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1210 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If have to see both sides of the coin, it looks like it could be a really worn nickel?dime?quarter? With a fair amount of damage. Need both sides and preferably another common coin to compare the size to. Definitely a king George coin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11973 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they're the same on both sides, then they aren't coins. That's definitely a George VI obverse, but possibly a reproduction of some sort? Are they magnetic?
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1210 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No matter what this coin is unless a little silver value it to damaged to be worth anything. It's an old coin and damaged badly. We would need both sides to see what coin it is though.
Learn More...
Australia
13809 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wrekkdd, as the OP says, the design is the same on both sides of each of the 12 coins. Which means they're not actual coins, but copies or replicas of some kind.

I can confirm that the coins being copied are Canadian, rather than British, Australian, South African or elsewhere in the Empire. Canada had a distinct set of words and abbreviations on their coins, and these pieces match. Specifically, the coins copied were George VI coins dating from the period 1937 to 1948 (when the IND IMP was dropped). Which might give some indication of when the pieces were made.

Given the damage, and the holes, my first guess would be Chinese funeral money, made for use by the Chinese diaspora in Canada. Replica-money is ritually burned in traditional Chinese funeral practice.

Second guess: a really, really crude attempt at making a circulating counterfeit. The holes would be a defacement by the shopkeeper who received them, to render them unusable. It would be odd for one person to acquire so many identical counterfeits, though... fool me once, sure, but fool me 12 times?
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3838 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are all the "holes" pretty much centered? If you can answer the 2 questions above, we may be able to help you. When I first saw the coin, I thought it might have been a button or used as a button.
Learn More...
United States
103710 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
924 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the community!

Looks more like lead then silver to me.
The weight, size and whether it's magnetic would help.

Cheers, Bill
Edited by Hounddog Bill
09/14/2021 12:18 pm
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Davemnman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These pics should show diameter and thickness compared to US dime. and #1 and #2 are same coin different sides. and #5 and #6 are also same coin different sides. They are not magnetic. holes are very close to the same place on all of them. has more of a square hole as apposed to a round hole. hope this helps. and hope pics come out ok. I am new to this stuff.

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 480Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05