Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roman Coin Not Sure What It Is

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 327Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  7:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Newby Numis to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Friends,

I just bought this on an on-line auction. Not sure what it is, but something about it looked interesting. Can anyone tell me what it is, and what it would be worth?

Learn More...
United States
20960 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@new, I'm going to move your thread over to the ancient's subforum so that we can get some good eyes on it. In the meanwhile, can you please add a pic of the edge plus the diameter and weight of this piece? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newby Numis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, have not received the coin yet, just have the picture from the auction.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6018 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice. Drachm, struck in the name of Alexander the Great. (Well worn, and lots of glare, but I think I can make out the AΛ of AΛEΞANΔΡOY to the right of Zeus on the reverse.) Probably a posthumous issue, perhaps late fourth century BC. It's an iconic ancient type, with head of Herakles wearing a lion skin headdress for the obverse, and a reverse with Zeus seated left, holding an eagle and scepter. Varieties were struck at a number of different mints over a long period.

Once you have it in hand, a better photo of the reverse, without the glare, might allow us to pin it down to a mint and narrower date range. Especially important will be a better image of the monogram below Zeus' throne.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newby Numis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2021  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newby Numis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From my research on-line I think it is an Antigonos I Alexander the Great AR Tetradrachm 315-311 BC. The problem is the angle of the bend in the arm on the reverse never matched a picture exactly. It is about 3cm and weight is 16.71 grams.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks
N.N.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newby Numis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found an exact match: Antigonos I Alexander the Great AR Tetradrachm Silver Coin 315-311 BC
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 327Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05