Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Anyone Here Ever Cycle Bills In An Atm?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 486Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1644 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  11:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just curious e if anyone has ever tried looking for a spread or any specific serial numbers by putting bills into an ATM and then withdrawing the same amount back out?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I have but I prefer lining up for a teller b/c I can get more of exactly what I want (like Tens & most ATM's stopped dispensing Ten Dollar notes). I don't like to deposit large amounts into ATM's. Sometimes the notes get stuck & then the machine spits them back out.

I have had one bad experience where the machine just stopped working altogether. The money I received was less than the money I deposited -so a few bills must have gotten jammed inside. I had to talk to the teller & she told me that they'd credit my account if the ATM employee found the lost bills. This would be about 3 days later as it happened on a long weekend. Fortunately the ATM staff reported my jammed note & credited it to my account (ie found it) but I didn't like having to go through that experience (& keep my eye on the ball for a lousy $20) three days after it happened.
Edited by walk2dwater
09/21/2021 3:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1644 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya I always prefer dealing with people over machines. I'm not a fan of the tellers at the new bank I have been going to, they kinda talk to me like in trying to scam them or something when I exchange rolls. First day they kept questioning me, second day I brought back what they gave me(a dime was in in if the quarter rolls and I told them but they wanted a quarter back, I told them why would I waste all this time for a quarter... Today I brought back the rolls I exchanged and they felt it necessary to check every quarter roll and count them, I told them they didn't count it when it was given to them with a dime so why I'm loosing 15 cents and being discriminated against I don't know. I go in in lunch in full scrubs, today the rolls I brought back had 2 extra quarters and 3 extra dimes and they were like so these are our extra coins then(with attitude) and I was like ya I didn't take anything out of them so that's what you gave me. So idk what they would be like with bills. My friend at the bank said he does not like the person who said that and he has only been there a week. He gave me the complaint line and told me to tell them I'm being discriminated against and treated like a criminal when I have banked with TD for 15 years or so. The rolls I got today one quarter roll had a nickel in it so I messaged my friend saying if they decide to go through all the change again, which they don't for most people(and clearly are not for the people bringing in these rolls with nickels or dimes squeezed in. They also tried to tell me the rolls are for businesses and I was like if I bring in 20 rolls and ask for the sake amount and denomination then you are not loosing any rolls. We will see how it all goes out but the customer service has been bad. I have half an hour on lunch to walk about a kilometer(half a km there half a km back) but they want me to sit there while they go through all my rolls and count them, and give me attitude like numismatics is not a real thing. So iv been using the ATM by my work from my closed branch(ATM is still active) to not have to deal with them. My friend is not a teller but told me from now on just get him and he will do the exchanges for me, so that's helpful.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4010 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bank shareholders night mare !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3579 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you not seen the coin rolling threads, where everyone recommends having a dump bank, so as to not upset the bank you are getting fresh rolls from..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4835 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The big five doesn't each make over 2 billion in profits every 90 days by being nice
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1644 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@silverwolf, my friend works at this specific branch and has a problem with the same person. This is a new. Branch that I have started to go to, if I had to there is 2-3 banks a little closer that I could try or open an account at. They just try and give me a big run around, at one point they tried to tell me I must be running a business(after explain the hobby and even showing some pictures) and they said that I should open up a business account if I want to be doing this. I prefer to make people see things my way in real life(good customer service is key for me to be a customer) my friend said to talk to the branch manager as well if they keep giving me issues(she is apparently really nice) the person I'm having issues with is the customer service manager(who also tried to tell me she was the branch manager but I know she is not and my friend confirmed it) I would not call this my current home branch as I don't have one any more. So I have no issue "stirring the pot" and if that dosnt work I can take my business elsewhere lol.

Edit: this will only be an issue in the future when he's not working or busy with actually working there.
Edited by Wrekkdd
09/21/2021 4:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1644 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john100, all business rely on good customer service at each individual store and or branch, complaints from a long time customer about discrimination and poor customer service may or may not effect the outcome, you never know untill you try. No business wants to loose business big or small or have bad reviews about them, when all the tellers have to do is smile and work.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... where everyone recommends having a dump bank, so as to not upset the bank you are getting fresh rolls from..

- I agree with 'silverwolf' & do this pretty much on a regular bases. My goal is to try to make it as non intrusive to their day as possible. For me, nurturing a great relationship with bank staff is paramount so I really try my best to be understanding no matter how many times I'm inconvenienced & the staff miscommunicate (or make mistakes, like get me the wrong order, etc).

Quote:
...complaints from a long time customer about discrimination and poor customer service may or may not effect the outcome, you never know untill you try. No business wants to loose business big or small or have bad reviews about them, when all the tellers have to do is smile and work.

I applaud you trying to locate coins & banknotes. Honestly, I think its great & I know it is anything but easy. I'm not sure I agree (nor understand) your take on 'discrimination' but feel your pain re: customer service. No bank I know wants to deal with tons of coins nor counting thousands of banknotes. [I know that they would count hundreds of times a day but I believe that they just want to minimize any use of cash these days]. Big banks are just into making money off mortgages, loans & investments. All the other 'stuff' (like our savings accounts/providing us with cash/bill payments) they look at as necessary aggravations. Individually, they don't mind losing the odd disgruntled customer (if it were to happen en masse, that would be something else).

I don't know your story but just about anyone I do know (who collects) doesn't find it very easy to recycle cash (coins nor paper) at any bank. I have participated in several forums & have heard countless complaints from other collectors. I've recycled cash for about 2 decades & it has never been smooth & easy. [I even had to compose a letter to a bank manager explaining my hobby about 8 -10 years ago] There has been the odd time (& the odd teller) who has made it smooth (& not so difficult) & on these rare occasions I have often rewarded this staff member (& his/her co-workers) with a dozen donuts. [No kidding] I honestly can count the times that's happened. That's one of the reasons I've turned to ATM's (just to avoid hassles with bank staff TBH). Though, as I explained earlier, I'd rather not.

The other reason banks want to deal with less cash is due to Covid19 & a super successful campaign (against dirty cash use) by the Better Than Cash Alliance (started by Bill Gates & other billionaires):
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bette...ash_Alliance
and
https://www.betterthancash.org/
There's no shame to this group who have recently been brainwashing people into thinking that their lobby group is actually empowering women (etc) by helping them set up bank accounts, etc.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
756 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tripoli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm friendly with the supervisor at my TD Bank. I'm often bringing in rolled coins because of bottle returns and using cash. We always share an 'eyeroll' when the newbie teller starts measuring or unpacking my rolled coins, but they are only doing what they are trained to do. AT least they take my advice to not bother checking the nickels, but go directly to the twoonies and loonies for their comfort.

Regarding notes from the ATM, yeah too much can go wrong.....I've had fresh notes get rejected by the ATM, so you have to end up going to the teller anyways.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1644 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm only dealing with my friend at the bank now, did a bunch of rolls today for exchange, no issues and he searches for the rolls that I have not marked already. He will do the same for bills but I won't mark a bill. He had another 20 penny rolls for me today, went through a few on lunch and it is looking like anther 50/50 americain cents and Canadian mayb 80/20 for American, also they are in some of the nicest shapes iv seen for pre 1980s that I saw including some gem Canadian pennys
Pillar of the Community
Canada
606 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never cycled bills. I try to get rolls from one bank and deposit them at another. They get confused or start asking too many questions if I bring back rolls, then ask for new ones. Also, I've found that the tellers are opening up rolls, at least higher value ones, more often now. I think they have been told to do more spot checks as there have been some stories of banks getting scammed by people bringing in rolls of washers. Unfortunately CIBC has converted a number of their branches into coin-free branches, so unable to get or deposit rolls there.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1644 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the tellers at the branch were fine, but ya got weird, now I just go into my friends office, he asks what I want and then exchanges them for me so I don't have to even get in line, he dosnt bother with any plastic rolls for me unless he sees am americain coin in the roll, so just unmarked rolls of customer rolls:) makes my life much easier and the tellers don't have to get stressed or question if it's ok or not.
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crockfs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the past few years, some of the ATM's, at least at TD Bank, dispense denominations from $5 - $100. So you could do this. However, if you do it too much I'm sure that the bank would frown upon that, or you get flagged for fraud or who knows what else.
Edited by crockfs
10/12/2021 10:04 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1644 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@crockfs, I have though about this and yes they dispense 5-100 in NY area. I figured if they ever flagged it would be a simple investigation to show nothing is going on. I don't it in large amounts usually I'll do 30-50$ in 5s and mayb cycle the one or twice to check for fancy notes. Even then I only do it maybe 2-3 times a month lol.
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 486Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05