Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Modern Commemorative Market

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 963Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1730 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I would prefer an original Saint Gaudens over a High Relief Double Eagle. Because in the end, the former is a real piece of history whereas the latter is a modern gimmick.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChicagoCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lancek's post is my thoughts exactly. Great post.

I too like them for the historical aspect, and how each design is so different from the next. I'm real excited for next year's Purple Heart and Negro League sets. I get the 3-coin set for each of my toddler kiddos every year (I give myself only the silver proof )
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2021  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started collecting the modern commemorative silver/clad proof coins a few years back. I enjoy the diverse designs on the coins, and of course they are silver. Meaning the one dollar commemoratives have a numismatic value and/or a silver value. I buy the half dollar clad proofs just to complete a year's set. I don't have every year's set but will eventually when I find the right deals. I also buy more than one years issues, proof or UNC, for their silver content if the price is right. I have picked up several of the 1986 Statue of Liberty, Constitution Bicentennial, etc... Dollar coins at spot price or below. The American Buffalo two coin set it the highest price set I have purchased.

After reading commems great informative posts , I plan to buy more UNC versions because of a unique difference from the proof coin.

I am still working on the 1995-1996 Olympic coins. I haven't found the right deal for them yet.

Bottom line. I enjoy the series. That is what it should be about when collecting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1730 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was browsing silver coins on eBay and came across this medal: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303905920402
I have to say, the design with the satellite in orbit around mercury looks pretty nice to me.
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Modern commemorative/bullion coins can be a profit situation for collectors depending on popularity, timing, precious metals prices. Dealers are obviously making money selling them.

Someone may have compiled price history of commemorative coins the last 30+ years to compare gains/losses and has charts.

PCGS started in 1986. I assume they researched prices back in time to 1970 to begin their PCGS 3000 index. It shows classic/rare coins prices. This index has had good gains. Some may be suspicious of this index, but it provides insight into the coin market over time. I did some calculating, generally, roughly, according to sources I looked at Google searches.

Since 1970 PCGS 3000 has gone up about 5,939%
Since 1970 Dow Jones Ind. has gone up about 4,100%
Since 1970 S&P 500 has gone up about 4,800%
Since 1970 silver $1.63 oz,has gone up about 1,380%
Since 1970 gold $37.38 oz has gone up about 4,700%

The coin market can go up/down like stocks. The highest PCGS 3000 ever got was 1989 at $181,088. It's currently $60,398. If you would have bought every PCGS 3000 coin in 1989 they would now be worth 66.65% less, bad timing.

I can't afford high dollar classic/rare coins. I'm not in the PCGS 3000 arena. I still enjoy my modern coins and my ancient coins. I don't worry much if they appreciate in value. I just try to buy at current fair prices.
Edited by livingwater
10/03/2021 4:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1730 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@livingwater,

your number for the DOW and S&P500 do not give a complete picture as you seemingly forgot to include dividend reinvestment.
Including that, the total return of the Dow is 24,069%. For the S&P500 this number is 22,616%.

https://dqydj.com/dow-jones-return-calculator/
https://dqydj.com/sp-500-return-calculator/
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2021  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, assuming someone reinvests their dividends and doesn't spend them, makes the stock market much better.
Edited by livingwater
10/03/2021 8:06 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 963Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: