Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mule Or Fake ? Sovereign 1919

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 377Next Topic  

Italy
4 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  4:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Luckycoin91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hi I've found this sovereign, I will ask if it could be a mule or only a fake sovereign. the date is 1919 but the obverse is queen elizabeth and not george V king
thanks

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11957 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the CCF

It is a fake. It should have King George V on the Obverse
and that is Queen Victoria, not Queen Elizabeth.
Next please increase the size of your photos. Those are
so small it is hard to make anything out.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
85 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You wouldn't have a mule that many years apart - Victoria died in 1901. It's such an obvious mistake I would guess it was done on purpose, so no-one would try to sell it as a genuine coin.
Italy
4 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Luckycoin91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Better photo
Italy
4 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Luckycoin91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other face
Pillar of the Community
Australia
852 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would also hazard a guess that it's light in hand as I doubt it would be gold.
Italy
4 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Luckycoin91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's surely gold the weight is correct
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19084 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were a lot of fake sovereigns made good quality gold, of around 20 carats fine or thereabouts.
Nevertheless, without any doubt, this coin which may well be of good quality gold, is a fake.

It was due to the large production of coins such as this one, that
the British Royal Mint decided to flood the market with genuine sovereigns, all dated 1925, to protect the good reputation of the sovereign and to suppress this sort of fake issue.
More than 3.5 million genuine sovereigns all dated 1925 were minted to suppress the manufacture of low grade gold fake sovereigns.
Edited by sel_69l
09/22/2021 10:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3577 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
have someone xrf it. then let us know what it is..How much did you pay for it?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61493 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Comical fake, gold content aside. But I's be curious what something like this is worth.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
849 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake or not, if it's gold, then I'd say it's pretty cool. What did The Royal Mint do with the left over obverse dies after Vickie passed? Any chance one was left over and this is a back door job?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is one of those purposely made bullion round sovereigns.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1851 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What did The Royal Mint do with the left over obverse dies after Vickie passed? Any chance one was left over and this is a back door job?

Unlikely to be deliberate mule. Most working dies would have been destroyed, most master dies would have been retained though I'd guess.
I have a copy of Hocking somewhere which would probably confirm that.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19084 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 50 years of being familiar with Aussie sovereigns, I have never heard of a Vikkie mule with a date not in her reign period.

A bit like a Trade dollar with an impossible date - both would be fakes.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 377Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05