Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1951 50 Coin, Can Anyone Tell Me What Variety This Is? Close Date

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 313Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1642 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  12:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't have a variety bok and there is no info on coins and Canada,but through CCF I know there is a few varieties, unfortunately this coin is a little damaged but I think close date low 1?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
5751 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a Narrow Date.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1642 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mcshilling, that's what I meant by close date, I should have said narrow lol, I also know that there is a high 1 and low 1 and maybe something in between. I can't find any of those varieties on coinsandcanada but I'm sure the info is out there(other then on this site) I just don't know all the varieties or what one this is exactly, let alone which ones are harder to find.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18291 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1642 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dorado, the varieties I'm talking about are not listed on coins and Canada, though I can post the thread if necessary on the CFF explaining the narrow and wide date and high and low 1.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1642 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://goccf.com/t/252649 to me it looks like narrow date low 1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3917 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With a handpunched last digits, you are going to get more "names" for positions or varieties than you can get on a sheet of paper. I would say that it's just like the 6's in the 1896 large cent or the 9's in the 1859's. You'll have narrow, kind of narrow, wide, somewhat wide wider ... let alone the vertical high/lows and slight rotations. You maybe had the guys with the handpunch going out for liquid lunches.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1642 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol @okiecoiner, that is true. With a hand punched last digit I wouldn't be surprised if there was one out there with the last digit punched randomly on the coin anywhere. So I guess you can't truly label these a variety and if you do there would be many combinations. I just read in the other thread narrow date and low 1 was harder to come by(considered IMO it is what the date should look like on all of them) I imagine there are more wide dates and high and low numbers then center and narrow. At least based of the thread I posted. The idea of hand punching anything on a coin leaves a lot if room for error. Which makes me curious if there is any varieties from this year that are more or less common(not necessarily more valuable) these are my friends coins so I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what they should be labeled as once stored properly.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3575 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
given the rim damage, this coin will only ever be worth melt value.
Valued Member
Canada
444 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pginrh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because the last digit of the date on the 1951 George Vi 50c was hand punched and because there were 47 Reverse Dies used per the Mint figures, there are 47 possible configurations. Only the extremes of positioning are catalogued . You are better off trying to find the two Doubled Die Obverses DDO that you can find for the 1951's. One is a Doubled DEI GRATIA and te other is a Doubled HP.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1642 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pginrh, didn't see any signs of a doubled die when inspecting the coin, I agree with silverwolf it is probably worth melt value. There is at least 15-20 50 pieces I have not posted any for grading just getting ab understanding of each coin. Most of the 50 pieces don't have damage like this.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3917 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For 50 cent coins, "pginrh" is, by far, the lead guru for this denomination. Take what he says to the bank
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1642 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@okiecoiner, good to know thank you. I agree with him right off the batt, I inspected for a doubled die but did not see anything. I'll post some of the nicer silver coins, I didn't look through to many today.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3917 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With handpunched last digit dies, there should be no example that is scarcer than any other. As PG says, there were 47 different combinations. It's not worth the effort to find these minute differences that were there from the start, incrementally at best.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1642 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes complete sense, it's basically like listing modern day USA doubled dies,so many kinds that dont really give a premium unless mayb there was a really bad rotation on the hand punch or just way off. Thanks for the info again.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 313Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05