Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

45 MM, 17.83 G Justinian Follis A / N / N / O And Xii, 538-539 Ad Nicomedia

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 357Next Topic  
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1058 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  8:32 pm Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just posting because of the large size. Not sure how big these get.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6107 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Massive!

Did you vet it against the fake reports? I recall that several of these types are known for prolific modern forgeries
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
23658 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's as big as they get. There has been forgeries of this coin from ANNO XII NIK, this one looks OK.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1058 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually did not. I'd take it down if it was of course. From an estate I am going through.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19345 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The edge looks way too good to be true, to actually be true.

I am unaware of any 40 nummi being as large as 43mm diameter.

Although there is only a slight possibility, I would be tempted to investigate if it is not a coin, but a contemporary medallion. The other very slight possibility is that it may be a sort of contemporary 'proof', used as a sort of quality control. All of the detail is evenly struck up, on a flan of constant thickness.

However, both investigations would be started from an initial position of great suspicion.

After checking with fake ancient coin data bases,
perhaps an inquiry with the British Museum or the Bibliotheque Nationale would be a good place to continue. If nothing else, there would be some very experienced experts there, that may be able to help.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1058 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sel, than more photos are being posted. It is a lifetime of a mans collection and everything else you see me list that says, "Ex NY State Private Collector" is his. Just to say if he got a bad coin all the rest were fine so far. But again more photos...

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1058 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So a man I don't think I have dealt with before has just written in below. (Forgive me sir if I have.) I have asked him to be so kind as to post on this forum. What he just wrote is: (I told him I can pull this long before the 7 days not to worry. But I'd like to see what he has to say first to at least learn from this experience.)

--->"Hi, this is a well known cast fake from the Middle East. It's underweight for the type, which is almost always 20g+ and you can also see traces of filing on the edge. You should not sell it as original.
"<---
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19345 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a lifetime collector, and there are others who have far more authoritative opinions than my own, and that I have deep respect for. Some of those are here in the CCF.
Of the rest of the coins in the NY collection, without knowing about them, I suspect that they are all genuine, and the collector is more knowledgeable than I. My learning curve is still steep.

In the 2nd set of pictures, do I see a faint circumferential join line?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1337 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  02:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, this a well-known fake. I actually bought one myself at a flea market 30 years ago. The two below I found with a quick Google search.

(Edit) There are also several examples in the fake reports at Forvm. Applied patinas vary. All seem to share a similar flan shape, a mushy cast appearance and a little spur at 3 o'clock on the obverse margin.

Edited by Kushanshah
10/06/2021 02:39 am
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1058 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  06:04 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK I ended it. Thanks everyone and it was great the way this board helps police eBay for me. Takes a lot of pressure off knowing there are other eyes checking and this one was just never on my radar. Will be now!
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 357Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: