Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Medals: 1930 Massachusetts Bay Colony 300th Anniversary

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 111Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6542 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  1:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's a classic historical art medal designed by Laura Gardin Fraser for the 300th anniversary of the founding of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630.

The medal's designs were described in the February 1931 issue of the American Numismatic Association's magazine, The Numismatist: "The obverse shows the bust of John Endecott, first governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The pear tree shown on the reverse is from the original root planted 300 years ago by Governor Endecott." (Note: The Governor's name is generally spelled "Endecott" but is sometimes spelled Endicott" (with an "i") depending on the source.)

The 4" bronze medal was struck by the Medallic Art Company of New York; it is believed that just 200 examples were struck. Its designs are fairly simple, but they continue to draw me in after many repeated examinations.

The 300th anniversary of the founding of the Massachusetts Bay Colony was the subject of a commemorative half dollar proposal introduced in Congress in 1929. The bill called for 500,000 50-cent pieces "in commemoration of the three hundredth anniversary of the founding of the Massachusetts Bay Colony and constitutional government authority." The bill was passed by the House, but failed to achieve Senate approval.

There were dozens of medals and tokens struck in 1929-30 to commemorate the founding of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630. Shepard Pond cataloged the medals and listed and described them via several articles published by the American Numismatic Association in its official publication, The Numismatist. The articles were later reprinted by the ANA in a single volume. Pond lists this Governor Endecott as #34 in his catalog.

More of my posts about commemorative coins and medals can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61507 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's beautiful, thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5047 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic write-up as usual commems. I love reading your posts. I can tell you put some work into them. Thank you!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7271 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remain in awe of commems knowledge and outstanding ability to share with his unparalleled written word style.

Truly a generous genius amongst us - many thanks commems.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 111Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05