Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roman Denarius ID Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 221Next Topic  
Valued Member
Norway
75 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  6:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add petterkr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I could use som help with this one...2.46 g.

Pillar of the Community
United States
910 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vitellius Denarius. A VITELLIVS GERM IMP AVG TR P, laureate head right / LIBERTAS RESTITVTA, Libertas, draped, standing facing holding pileus and long rod.

Obviously, taking an educated guess as the legends and reverse is worn. Others can chime in.
Edited by travelcoin
10/18/2021 6:19 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vitellius.
Beware: Fakes exist of this scarce Emperor. This one looks reasonably good.
A long time ago, I was deceived by a fake example of a Vitellius denarius. The portrait very similar to this one.
A dealer pointed out to me what was wrong with it. I gave it to him to add to his reference collection of fake Roman coins.

Compare with Google Images:
'Vitellius denarius'.

Edited by sel_69l
10/18/2021 6:51 pm
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1033 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well here is a coin that I sold and was returned to me over a year ago and I was told by the buyer, great guy, that "Brad Bowlin, Stephen Burton and Eric Kondratieff" all believed it was a modern fake. 17 mm, 2.08 grams.
So this one is in the black box as a fake forever but you might want to run your by someone like that and get their opinion as I steer clear of the emperor in that condition of mine and yours is very rough as well.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look inside the radial crack at 10;30 reverse, it should display signs of tensile metal distress, looking for rough surface inside the crack; cast cannot reproduce the rough surface.

Calgary Coin (Canada) produced an excellent 96 page tutorial on how to identify fakes of ancient coins. (copyright) Have a talk to them.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
138 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I would agree LIBERTAS RESTITVTA. There aren't any other standing figures it could be on a denarius. It seems to be RIC 105 as the obverse legend has 'AVG' http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.1(2).vit.105

A lot of Vitellius denarii are very worn. At that time, Emperors were not debasing the currency (and melting it down), so coins remained in circulation a long time. I have a genuine Vitellius that is very worn as it circulated for 120 years or so.

Vitellius Denarius, 69

Rome. Silver, 18x20mm, 3.1g. A VITELLIVS GERMAN IMP TR P. Victory seated left, holding patera in right hand and palm branch in left, no legend (RIC 88).
Valued Member
Norway
75 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add petterkr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all. I think RIC 105 is correct when twisting and turning a bit on the reverse
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 221Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: