Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1936 Arkansas Statehood Centennial - Joseph Robinson

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 182Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6733 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  8:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

OK, back in May 2012, right here on Earth, I posted about the 1936 Arkansas Statehood Centennial-Joseph Robinson half dollar and included images of the coin's original holder/mailer that I have in my collection. For some reason, I didn't post the envelope used by Stack's of New York to send the coins to its mail order buyers. I noticed the omission this evening (Who says I'm not on top of things?! ), and decided to "complete" the original post. (A link to the original is found below.)

As can be seen, the envelope is not one that was custom printed with designs that matched the coin; it's just a readily-available, standard envelope that was purchased from the United States Envelope Company. It does, however, appear to have been pre-printed with the Stack's return address; the "Contains Merchandise" and "INSURED" blocks also appear to have been added. (Speaking from experience, it's a common practice to use a local printer to personalize standard envelopes that can be purchased in bulk.) I suggest that the envelope was used by Stack's to mail out a variety of coins to its customers, not just the Arkansas-Robinson coin.

In late 1936, Stack's advertised that they were appointed as the "Sole Distributors" of the coin and that they would be ready for distribution by December 31, 1936. Per contemporary reports, however, distribution of the coins did not begin until early February 1937. As the envelope shown features a "Feb(ruary) 2, 1937" postmark, it would seem that the coins it contained were among the early purchases of the half dollar.

I used the plural "coins" above based on the 13 cents worth of stamps on the envelope. In 1937, the Domestic Letter Rate was three cents per ounce; even with the cost of insurance added in, the affixed postage would allow for the holder/mailer to be filled with four or five coins.

1936 Arkansas-Robinson Mailing Envelope

FYI: Mountain Lake still exists today - it is a private community built around a golf course; its history dates to 1916.

If you'd like to read my original post, you can find it here:

- 1936 Arkansas Statehood Centennial - Joseph Robinson

For other of my posts about commemorative coin and medals, check out: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
10/20/2021 9:16 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62783 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good read as always, thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7337 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was informative as always, thanks commems for sharing.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the interesting and informative followup! Better late than never ...
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 182Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: