Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1895 MO Un Centavo Error Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 191Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
59 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  8:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MaximillianMike to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Evening All,

Below are three 1895 Mo centavos that exhibit the same error to which I am calling a die break. While I have three and missed out on a fourth specimen I would call these scarce to rare at best. I was lucky to purchase two from a long time collector who found both years apart. Anyway I am sharing to gather thoughts on these from seasoned collectors and see if anyone has similar examples. Aside from that here are my thoughts.

All three coins have sharp strike quality and characteristics that lead me to contend they were struck in an early die state and some flaw in the die forced an early break that was either repaired or replaced. I have not yet compared these to other 1895 specimens without the break nor have I been able to find any references on die states of Mexican centavos. I am confident it's a study that has yet to be undertaken and one I imagine would be a difficult and timely pursuit. Thanks everyone, stay healthy!

Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey @max, could you please add a close-up pic of one of the die cracks? It might be nice to examine if the crack seem to be growning on these three examples. Thx!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MaximillianMike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence,

I have two of the three in my possession, I will try here shortly to get closer photos. I can say with confidence though that of the three and the fourth I missed out on I observed no spreading. Thanks for the reply. Will follow up shortly.

Mike
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MaximillianMike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence,

Here are better shots of the two I have with me. The third photo is an exploded view with some enhancement. All my photos are done through an app called Polish. I do not alter the appearance of any coin but in the case of the third I sharpened it a bit to bring out better detail since I don't have that coin with me to photograph. The rim is not as rough as the image suggests, I trimmed away the background and it left a funky appearance.

Mike

Edited by MaximillianMike
10/20/2021 10:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MaximillianMike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wanted to update and bump this thread. My hunch is that at some point the dies used were struck very hard or deep. This coin below has a die crack from the eagles head to the wing tips (left side not as clear as right) leaving a very deeply struck eagle and the strike is so deep on the reverse it has cupped the coin. I believe that's likely what led to these unique die breaks. Perhaps there's an 1895 cupped like this one.

Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 191Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: