Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1981 50 Cent DD Maybe

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 166Next Topic  

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  4:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add K3V to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, coin community. I'm a brand new coin hunter and I have a question about this super clean 1981 Fifty cent coin that I have saved. I looked up what machine DD is vs machine DD and I still can't tell with all of the errors. My gut says that it is Machine with so many blemishes. Aside from that, what state would you consider this coin to be in? It has almost zero blemishes from the eye level on the obverse side. I have supplied probably too many pics, but hey from reading the other posts I know you guys like more clear pics than not. Thank you kindly and I look forward to your responses. -Kevin

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add K3V to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is also swirling (not sure of the correct term) around the bust. like an outline. Is there a term for that? I looked here but couldn't find it.https://coins.ha.com/c/ref/glossary.zx
Pillar of the Community
United States
7581 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please provide photos of the entire coin, both sides. Thanks. And please, no screen shots (they are too pixelated to be of use). We need sharper photos to help you.
ça va bien aller

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add K3V to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I thought I added those.

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add K3V to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to get closer pics.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54651 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Notice on all the devices you are looking at, the same thing is going on. Just as you suspected it is Machine Doubling. A doubled die will show enlarged devices in the centers of the devices.

Note the spread on the centers of the devices and they are larger than normal in either height or width. Machine Doubling reduces the size of the device by removing the contour of the devices.
Note on this one, the devices look distorted with widening:

Note also on the last set of images, that the contour is there, with the spread lines on the centers of the devices. Also they are wider than normal.
Side by side comparison with a normal set of devices and a DDO:

Forget looking at the edges of the devices. Note the tops of the devices. Note the distortion. How some devices are affected differently. All these last 6 images are on the same two coins. One normal and one a doubled die. Hope this helps. If not, ask for answers to what confuses you.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/21/2021 7:26 pm
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add K3V to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see! This is a helpful infographic. Thank you for the lesson. Would you please give me your personal grade for this coin? I'm trying to understand that a little better as well. If you have any more infographics for the quality. Thank you!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 166Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: