Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1992 P Kennedy Half Dollar Possible Struck Through?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 408Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  10:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Edited by gsp193
10/23/2021 02:03 am
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that "blob" incuse or raised?
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lamination doesn't occur on clad coins, only solid alloy coins and predominantly Lincoln copper Cents. I'm interested to hear if that is incuse or raised on your coin.
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is incuse like the whole piece is missing.
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since it is incuse, you may have a struck through of some sort. If it was raised, I would have leaned towards an interior die break due to it's size but the definition of it would be too clean in my opinion for this. Let's see what others have to say.
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok Thankyou brother!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41993 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Struck through gritty grease?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @ John1.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54651 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going by light and shadows, it looks like something on the coin, like solder? If so, then it is not an original surface.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41993 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think coop is right, looks like something is "on" the coin.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me get it back out and see if I can take some better pics
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me get it back out I will go soak in Acetone and see if I can take some better pics
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will add this.... It is definitely difficult at times to discern if something is incuse or raised on a coin. The more I look at your lighting angle in your 4th and 5th pics (and I am by no means a photo expert...ha), the more I am inclined to think I am seeing this blob of stuff being raised on the surface of the coin. It appears your light source is coming from about the 6 o'clock position and is reflecting off the edges of the devices and also the "blob". Anxious to hear what comes of the acetone bath.
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, after a 30 minute or so Acetone bath, I took a small metal detail pic and placed in the center of area in question, slid up and around until it stopped at the normal height surface. Area in question is definetly incuse. The surface of area in question looks rough. I tried to flake a piece off at edge in case it was clear coat or a coating but it just scratched the coin in front of the chin. I weighed it
along with 20 other 1992's and this one is on the lighter side. If this is a coating it scratches the same throughout the area in question and the normal flat area and is a very strong light coating. So I do not know, but it is incuse, the pic stops at the edges like a wall. I found another 1992 with similar wear and put beside each other to see the lighting. Looks very close to the same to me. Thanks all for looking!

Edited by gsp193
10/23/2021 5:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well.... let's go back to the strike through theory.... like John1 mentioned... struck through gritty grease? That has my vote. If this turns out the be the case then that is a very nice stuck through example! And your last series of pics are much better in showing what appears that this area is incuse. Now that we can clearly see the tops of the letters of GOD is more consistent with a strike through grease IMHO.
Edited by Bumpkin
10/23/2021 3:49 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 408Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: