Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identify This Crazy Weird Coin! (A Just For Fun ID Competition Against The Coin Help U Forums!)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 420Next Topic  
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  03:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BrettS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello! I'm Brett. I'm new here and it was suggested on the COIN Help U forums to bring this here as well.. So I have something for your collective knowledge to shine forth on...
I couldn't find anything out about this coin that was brought in to me and it has haunted me ever since! Gold star to anyone that can give me the goods on this crazy mystery coin!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
42002 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  04:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Size and weight?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
890 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It kinda looks like an Arabic coin or medal. I see what could be a crescent moon inside the five pointed star, and the star looks Moroccan? These also appears to be Arabic numbers on the other side off to the side. So this could be a very old specimen from my eyes.
Edited by mrwhatisit
10/26/2021 07:16 am
Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bret, first welcome to CCF. Second, as noted by @john above, please post the weight and diameter of this piece. Also, please confirm whether or not it is attracted to a magnet. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
5953 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonder if it's an old token. I'm looking...
Learn More...
United States
106612 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5201 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Stick around, Explore and Enjoy!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bjherbison to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried the images on Coinoscope and Maktun and (as expected) neither came up with any reasonable matches.
Learn More...
Australia
13928 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The confusing thing for me are the "gold bits" - particularly on the side I'm arbitrarily calling the reverse (the bottom pic), with the large star. I can't tell if that's just odd background toning, gold paint, or actual pieces of gold/brass that are inlaid.

I'm certain it's not a "coin". I'm not even sure it's a token. My best guesses are:
- a "good luck" medal;
- a game piece;
- a renaissance festival token.

The "lettering" is odd. If you rotate the top pic 90 degrees anticlockwise, it seems to read "COVIII". This is mirror-imaged in the recessed areas on the other side, with "III" and "O-backwards-C" inside two of the gold triangles. I don't think it's an actual punch that's pushed all the way through to the other side, as the object looks quite thick judging from the photos.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5149 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The overlapping pentagrams (or something like that) in the second photo might make it an occult related object?

I agree it doesn't look like a coin.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BrettS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the lack of dimensions,magnetism, and weight being missing. It was brought to me for identification about a year ago and try as I might I could not talk the owner into giving it up! She moved to Seattle A few months back... I can add some details though. It was not magnetic but I don't think it was quite as heavy as I expected (by feel). It was as if it would have been that light if it was made from maybe pewter or silver. I thought the color was off for it being silver though. It was found on the road, so that explains the surface scratches. It was thick. Like three/four pennies thick. The gold in it was not paint. It almost looked like as if whoever made it had taken a thin gold foil and sandwiched it between the front and back, but no noticeable line or anything like that around the edge, that's just how it looked. I never got to test it but it looked very much like real gold. I also thought the moon would hold significance, as many Arabic coins carry that same cresent. I had also noted the cross/four square symbol had many Spanish and Portuguese analogs during the heyday of pirates and bullion ships that sank around that era. I found some similar but all the ones like what I saw were with different symbols in those squares and this coin not being gold or silver (as far as I could tell by look and previous experience) throws a wrench into that. The craftsmanship put into the making of it suggested it was possibly a one-off yet it also did not look mass-produced based on the roughness and odd lettering.. A true mystery!
Edited by BrettS
10/29/2021 6:11 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 420Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: